Saturday, May 12, 2007

Dinner with friends

For the past month or so, the Toronto (and surrounding area) 'waiting mommies' have been planning a blowout bash to get together and have dinner. They had been getting together a few times in the past, but I think this was the fourth gathering so far. Well, it seems that the group got a lot larger lately and we've even started a Yahoo group, thanks to Catherine and (I believe) Michelle.

Well tonight we all went out for dinner...all 25 of us.

Nic came over to our place this afternoon (after a very full day which included convocation ceremonies) and spent a couple hours with Josh and I before the dinner. We shmoozed about her little guy, who I swear keeps getting cuter...and I saw new pictures tonight. That boy is just deliciously cute!

She was stopped at the border on her way in. She was asked if she was bringing in any gifts, and without thinking she said 'no', having forgotten about the wrapped gift that was sitting next to her for the 'waiting mommies' dinner. Oops.

We then headed over to the mall, which is normally a 10 minute drive from where I live, but as all Torontonians know, there are two seasons here...winter and construction. The main road to get to the mall was closed for repairs. Woo! So the drive ended up taking close to 45 minutes. Nic wasn't a happy camper, since she had already driven about 3 hours to get here...and then to get stuck in traffic on top of that. Blah.

We got to the restaurant about 15 minutes late and I think we were the last to arrive. Everyone was seated, but we wanted to sit with our 'clique', so Nic and I started doing a bit of furniture rearranging and moved one of the tables over.

It was really great getting to meet (and reconnect) with everyone over dinner. As nice as the dinner was, I think the group was unfortunately a bit too big for the venue. We had two large oblong tables set up, and I didn't get a chance to talk to everyone. Well, perhaps it's a bit of a misnomer to say that it was too big. It's more like I didn't have enough time to make the 'rounds' and get to know everyone...but there's always next time!

The ironic thing is, I've mentioned on here before how I've only met one couple from our travel group, well one of the 'waiting mommies' at tonight's dinner is in my group! It was really great meeting S...finally.

Along with all the 'waiting mommies' were three little ones who joined us as well. One of the little girls had just started walking yesterday and she was walking up a storm at the restaurant. SO cute!

Then came time for pictures, but as everyone knows and understands/appreciates, I don't want my picture taken and put on a blog. Sorry folks, but you won't be finding my mug on here anytime soon...well, never. Since I was the only one who opted out of photos, I was designated to be the official photographer for the night. First there was one camera...then two...then nine. ACK! It was getting a bit silly, so it was decided that we would have one 'official' picture and then everyone would just email it to everyone else. Phew! ;)

There was also a gift exchange this evening as well. I opted out of that as well. Not because I'm anti-social or cheap, but for the simple reason that we're not buying or doing anything for "Little Maple" prior to her referral. (Long time readers of the blog will know that.) I did, however, get three very nice gifts. I got a picture frame from Kathy that had little maple leaves on it. TOO cute! I also got a box of tea and a fortune cookie from Jill. Also, I got a ladybug shaped lunchbox (which I've dared Josh to take to work), from someone...sorry my memory fails me right now, but I'm sure when Catherine reads this, she'll fill in the missing name. ;)

I'm really happy that I came to this dinner and that Nic was able to join us. I'm looking forward to getting together with this amazing group of women again...soon!

By the way, for those that are celebrating it, I want to wish you all a Happy Mother's Day. While the wait may seem neverending at this point in time, we WILL get there...tonight was proof of that.

9 comments:

M and M said...

What a great night we had! It was good to see you again.

I THINK the ladybug lunch container was from Liz & Ava.

Unfortunately they don't make round tables for 25 people...

Mamacita said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! Lucky girls, getting to meet up!

Kelli said...

Wow, sounds like a fun night! 25 waiting Mamas? In One restaurant? the night before Mothers day? wow...how could any restaurant handle that?! ha ha! I'm sure the 3 little ones has PLENTY of attention! How FUN!!!

Jill and Jaap said...

It was great to meet you Rhonda! Thanks so much for the keychain!

C's Mom said...

Man...you've got a serioous troop when you meet up!

Gotta love that.

crazylady said...

Sorry I missed it. Will make up for it on Monday perhaps. Yeah, I already have plans for the icebreaker.
Drink some 'grape' juice today okay?
Sen

Liz and Ava said...

Ava and I had a great time...was nice meeting you. Thanks for the keychain. Looking forward to the next dinner.

4D said...

Sounds like a great night! Wish I could have joined you. Hopefully next time!

Keep smilin!

Catherine said...

It was great to see you again! Looking forward to the next one.

Michelle is right, the lunchbox was from Liz and Ava.