Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Add it to the list...

(Posted by Josh)

I realize that some of you are digging out from mountains of snow, but it took this long for me to find the time to write about our trip up to the Bruce Peninsula.

The Bruce Peninsula is a narrow strip of land that juts out into Georgian Bay/Lake Huron and is famous for shipwrecks, rock climbing and spectacular fall colours.
















The region is also home to Canada’s answer to Groundhog Day – Wiarton Willy. He is a rather plump white groundhog who represents the only reason to visit Wiarton.

We did our bit for the economy and bought a stuffed Wiarton Willy. Willy sits in the back seat on my car along with other plush zoo animals, securely belted into the back seat. On one visit to Nic, Tim and Zubin, the whole zoo was sitting happily in my car and no-one questioned why there were five stuffed animals belted into my car. My answer at the border…safety first!

These pictures were taken at Inglis Falls Conservation area and Tobermory. It was here we saw fall colours, waterfalls and heard gunfire. We later discovered that there was hunting range nearby and could hear the rifle shots in the distance. Signs warned us to wear bright clothing. We were both wearing dark clothes and were in some heavy brush. We would have been better off with orange vests and doing a silly walk a la John Cleese to avoid being shot.












































The rustic charm on the region was confirmed by the soda-pop machines that were converted to sell “live bait” (freshness guaranteed) at the local milk store. Yech!






























I realize there are all sorts of places in Toronto that had fall colours, but this place is special. It’s the very end of the Niagara escarpment; it has Ontario history going back at least 150 years, with natural history going back to the last ice age. It is a place I one day hope to take little one.
















For a split-second I imagined myself holding a little hand, walking through the crunching leaves explaining to her why the rocks look the way they do, why the leaves turn colour and having a debate as to who will have the bigger tummy-ache on the drive home, her or her Mother, after visiting Tobermory’s own “Sweet Shop”. This sweet shop is an island of yumminess in an ocean or crappy truck stops and greasy spoons. Add it to the list…

8 comments:

Red Sand said...

I remember Tobermoray's Sweet Shop - good times while diving...

I find those little momentary imaginings so bittersweet; poignant, precious, agonizing at times.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a nice place to see. I love the bait on the vending machine.

a Tonggu Momma said...

That vending machine reminds me of a store near my momma's house that reads - and I quote - "Bait. Tackle. Guns."

And good to know you are trying your best to save the local economy. Which is really the fault of us Yanks. Sorry about that.

Jill said...

Wow, what wonderful pics! Sounds like you had a good time. Love the live bait 'pop' machine!

kitchu said...

The bait on the vending machine made me laugh... looks like you had a great time!

crazylady said...

wait a second... Wiarton Willy died years ago and was replaced by Bolsover Billy. Who also died. Not a great profession I'm thinking, predicting the weather with the accuracy of Harold Hussein.

That forest picture belongs in the Ikea frame section...not that I frequent there anymore.

Happy 27th.

D & S said...

I love that area of Ontario. It's so pretty.

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Oh... I love the look at this place... like my kind of place... hope that life is treating you well... sorry I haven't been around of late... I have been busy with work etc and never seem to get caught up with everyone... take care and have a great Christmas if I don't talk you...