Saturday, November 07, 2009

Quality, value, service, trust - Part 1

A couple of weeks ago, Josh and I went into our local Sears store to buy a mattress, boxspring and frame. Pretty simple, right? We were told that because of health and safety regulations, that we would have to put the mattresses in bags (which they supplied). Not a big deal, or so we thought.

Well, this morning we knew everything would be delivered, so we woke up early to start packing things up. We unfolded the mattress bag and realized that it was too small. I asked Josh to call the store to make sure that they sent us the right bag. They confirmed that they did, but before sending him to the store, we measured the mattress, then the bag. He called the store, and after being transferred from person to person, he was told that our mattress was too big for the bag.

Umm, we've already established that.

They told Josh that since the boxsprings would fit in the bags, that we should package those up and if the deliverymen didn't take the unbagged mattress, that they would send out someone to take it. To me, that seems like an unncessary level of bureaucracy, but whatever.

Fast forward to noon.

The guys got here, took away the boxsprings and stared at the mattress and we had to go through the whole story with them about the mattress being too small for the bags. They decided to take the mattress, which was fine.

Then they saw that the frame was still attached to the headboard and told us that WE had to disassemble that as well. We told the deliverymen that we weren't told anything about the frame being disassembled. We also told them that the salesman said that the guys would attach the frame to the headboard.

We started disassembling the frame from the headboard, and the frame itself, when the deliverymen said that they would have to call dispatch. About five minutes later we got a call from their dispatch saying that the guys would have to move on to their next delivery.

Wow. Nice customer service.

I called up the store and complained. The woman I spoke to said that they would be sending someone out to attach the frame to the headboard later today. Great, but still just an extra level of stress and annoyance that we don't need.

We were almost finished disassembling everything at that point. I sent Josh outside to get the guys (before they drove off), and said that everything was taken apart. They came back up, put the frame together, put the new mattress in the hall and the new boxsprings in the bedroom...and left.

As soon as they left, I called up the store to complain about how we were treated (the guys were VERY rude as well). She said that she would be sending someone out A.S.A.P. to attach the headboard to the frame, and asked if sometime between 3:00pm and 6:00pm was ok. Fine, whatever.

As I was walking up the stairs, I noticed that there's a HUGE gash (26 inches...I measured), and called the store again. I was told by the person at customer service that "I'm with a customer right now, but I'll call you right back".

I totally lost my shit with her.

I replied "what am I? I'm a customer. I'm a very angry customer." I'm so pissed off right now about the whole situation.

I just got a call back from the store, and she apologized for what happened and replied "The service you get at Sears, you'll never get at any other store." She SO walked into that, and I went off again and said "I would hope I wouldn't get this service at another store, I would hope it's better."

Now I'm waiting for a call back from the store manager, I'll let you all know what happens next. ;)

(The title of the post refers to Sears slogan that's plastered all over our bill of sale. HA!)

7 comments:

Michele said...

I'd probably send everything back, make sure the credit card company knows of the faulty product and service so that you don't pay for it and I'd go somewhere else.

No wonder they have been in financial trouble for many years.

This totally sucks for you and I hope you are sleeping on the floor tonight.

Anonymous said...

I had a horrible experience with Sears a month ago. I am NEVER shopping there again. The list of inquiries on the bbb for them is PAGES long...deservedly so.

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

That was me above.

Michelle said...

There is no such thing as customer service anymore. What a pain!

Jill said...

Sadly, this seems to be becoming more and more common. Stores and companies really don't seem to care much anymore...
Can't WAIT to hear what happens next!

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Remind me to NEVER go to Sears...

Anonymous said...

Dear Rhonda,

It is disappointing to read about the service that you have received from Sears. It is our goal at Sears to not only meet but exceed our customer’s expectations and at this point we have not done this for you. My name is David and I work for the Sears Cares executive team and we would appreciate the opportunity to right this situation. At your convenience please contact my office via email at searscares@searshc.com so we can assist you in resolving this issue. Please provide a contact and the phone number the mattress was purchased under (if different than the contact) and we will call you at your convenience. We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Thank you,

David V.
Senior Case Manager
Sears Cares