Thursday, March 06, 2008

What's that smell?! Part deux...

Yesterday we had our furnace serviced and while the guy from Direct Energy was here, we wanted him to check out something in our kitchen, but I'll get back to that in a minute.

Since we're first time homeowners, we're more than a bit stupid green when it comes to certain things. For instance, since we bought the house in late summer, the humidifier was switched to 'summer' and we didn't know it had to be switched to 'winter'...hell, we didn't even KNOW there was a winter setting on it. Oops. Yes, we ARE that dumb apparently. We switched it over to the winter setting the day before he got there so he wouldn't know how moronic we are...only you get to know that. ;)

Other than that, everything was in tip-top condition with the furnace and since it's only a year and a half old, that's GOOD news.

If you remember this post, well I have a bit of an update about it. We had a gas leak the first day that we owned the house and it was capped...

or so we thought.

(The picture looks rude, doesn't it? But it's a defunct gas pipe from a long gone stove.)

Yes, girls and boy, we've had a slow running gas leak for the past six months. Doesn't that give you the warm and fuzzies? The gas leak wasn't coming from the water tank this time, THIS leak is coming from the pipe behind the stove. Apparently the old owners, at some point, had a gas stove and never properly capped the pipe.

Oh yeah, did I mention that they used to run a daycare in the house? Nice, huh? Gas leak...kids...good combo (not to mention that when we bought the house none of the smoke detectors had any batteries in them, nor did the hard-wired smoke detector work. It was hard-wired to the burglar alarm and they never used it...they never had the code for it).

Anyways, it's a VERY small gas leak, because we have a metre right outside the kitchen and it never picked up the gas...but we faintly smelled it. We've had Direct Energy in before and they never smelled it when they were in, so they said it was always 'something else'. Yeah, ok. Finally this guy did the 'soap and water' test...where he rubbed some soap and water on the pipe and it bubbled to show where the leak was coming from. Not exactly scientific, but at least it worked, and proved we weren't going crazy. :P

Gee, you can't TELL that it's not a professional job by just looking at it and tell that it needs to be capped properly? Shithead. Good thing it wasn't his house that was in danger of blowing up...

So now they're supposed to come today between 2:00 and 6:00...lovely. At least it will FINALLY be dealt with.

8 comments:

Mark & Michelle said...

Blowing up is bad!!

kerri said...

Kaboom!!
Glad that is all looked after.

3D said...

Good thing you don't smoke or run a meth lab...you might have had a lot of problems. Like you better not blown up.

Keep smilin!

Johnny said...

Hey, the pilot light on my last home's stove was out for a few months. I kept smelling a bit of gas, but never could be sure. It wasn't until I needed the stove that I figured it out. Been there!

Buckeyes & Eggrolls said...

that's kinda scary!! good thing you both have a keen sense of smell.

OziMum said...

Maybe the gas leak helped get the daycare kiddies off to sleep?!!

"Cracking" up at 3D's "meth lab" comment!!! You do that in the shed, right?!!

PIPO said...

Dayum...glad the gas didn't get YOU two.

Dolores and Shawn said...

Holy cow!!! I'm glad everything is taken care of.