Thursday, November 23, 2006

Poor kitty (part trois) - Get me outta here!

I wish I had one of these so I could look in and see how Deuce is really doing...

Anyways, I called the clinic this morning at 7:30 for an update on Deuce and I was told by one of the techs that he had thrown up some bile this morning. Yum.

I called again around 10:30 to try to talk to one of the doctors and I was told they were all busy dealing with patients (umm, what is Deuce then?) I asked the tech why he threw up bile and she said 'oh I didn't know that he did'. That doesn't exactly instill a great deal of confidence...

I called yet again around 11:30 and was told that the doctor was in a meeting with the administrator but I could talk to her if I called back at noon.

Long story short, I called back at noon and spoke to the doctor, she said that him throwing up bile isn't a big deal (yeah sure, everyone should do it, I hear it's all the rage...) and that his body is just trying to get rid of whatever bug(s) he has. She also mentioned that he has an inflammation of the digestive tract. He's eating and drinking and being playful, but he hasn't pooped. Go figure, we take him in because he was having persistent diarrhoea and now he's constipated (or empty). The doctor told me to call back around 4:30pm when his doctor would be in so I could get a detailed report from her.

I called, yet again, around 4:30 and she agreed with the other doctor that he was throwing up is a good thing. I told her that we were coming in later to visit with Deuce and that we wanted to speak with her in person.

We went downstairs and saw Deuce in a big cage (we asked for the largest cage that they have since he's a big kitty and likes his space). We went over to his cage, I opened the door and he popped out and had a look on his face like "GET ME OUTTA HERE! I WANNA GO HOME!" He sat on my lap for a few minutes, purred and licked my fingers. He seems to be his normal self, but he was a little frightened. Wouldn't you be if you were in strange surroundings without the comforts of home? *sigh*

We talked to the vet again, while Deuce was on my lap, and she said that they can't find anything wrong with him. Her best educated guess is that he had a very large furball that he couldn't get rid of. He was probably trying to pass it out the wrong end, he couldn't and that's what caused his stomach to be upset. She might be right about that because he DID have a large furball, larger than normal, on Tuesday afternoon while he was at home. They're going to continue the medication he's on and hopefully we'll be bringing him home on Sunday.

While we wanted to take him home with us right then and there, we decided that the best place for him is in the hospital. We want to make sure that he doesn't have a repeat of his diarrhoea. Assuming that the doctor is correct, he should be fine.

When I went to put him back in his cage, he put all his feet out, trying to prevent me from putting him back in. It broke my heart to leave him there, but I know it's for the best. I'm going to go visit him tomorrow morning and then Josh and I are going to visit again tomorrow night.

4 comments:

M and M said...

Poor Deuce!! What an ordeal he (and you two) have had over the last week!! You are certainly going to need and deserve your getaway this weekend!!

Anne Marie said...

I'm sorry Deuce is having such a hard time. I hope he feels better soon, and that you'll be able to relax and not worry soon! I know how it feels when the four-legged ones are under the weather.

Anonymous said...

I hope Deuce is feeling better soon!

D & S said...

Poor little guy. It's horrible isn't it having to take them and leave them at the vets isn't it? I hope he's feeling better soon.