Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Weird Al















Last month when it was Josh's birthday, I asked him what he wanted for his birthday and the only thing he could think of was to go and see Weird Al Yankovic. Apparently this was his first concert in Toronto in about eight years, so we jumped at the chance to go and see him.

While we were waiting for the concert to start, Josh was looking around the audience and he poked me and said "Hey, isn't that the singer from the Barenaked Ladies?" I turned to look, but knowing how bad Josh's sense of similarity in people is, I figured it was going to be someone who looked like Abe Vigoda. I let out a gasp and saw that it really WAS Steven Page!

For those of you that don't know, I'm a big, huge, enormous bit of a fan of Barenaked Ladies. I've got all their CDs and their first tape (yes, cassette tape) which had the same five songs on side A as side B. Ok, I'm a nerd when it comes to them...

Since he was there with his family, I decided not to go and hound him for his autograph...though it was REALLY tempting.

Back to Weird Al...

He did a lot of his songs from his current album, with a few OLDIES mixed in. I nearly fell off my chair when he came out in the fat suit from Fat*. If you ever get the chance to see him in concert, go! You won't be disappointed. I can't remember the last time I laughed THAT hard.

*Disclaimer: The video and song are not "politically correct"...hey, if you want politically correct, don't click on the link or go see a Weird Al show.*

10 comments:

Donna Paonessa said...

Glad you had a good time; you needed a good laugh I think! I have to admit I'm not a fan of Weird Al, but I too LOVE the Barenaked Ladies!! Remember when they weren't allowed to perform at a New Year's Eve concert in T.O. because of the name of their band?? Too funny.

4D said...

Sounds like a great time!

I too am a big BNL fan. I have their cassette tape! I met two of them in Ottawa when I was at university. Very cool guys!!

Keep smilin!

M and M said...

I heard a review on the radio and they said the concert was great!

Wow - some willpower you have for NOT asking for the autograph!

Anonymous said...

I love his Star Wars song. We saw him back in the 'Burque.

Unknown said...

seriously, I think that would be fun

Alana said...

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
I'ma love me some Mr page too! You should go to my blog and read from the BNL tags. I have several pgotos with them from when I spent 3 VERY long days stalking them this winter!!

Jill and Jaap said...

I don't think many stand up comics are politically correct eh?! Lol

LOVE BNL!

D & S said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time. What a super present for Josh. I'm sure you both enjoyed it.

Tracey and Mike said...

Glad you had a great time! Never seen Weird Al, but I've seen the Bare Naked Ladies twice. Awesome shows!

Middle-Aged Moi said...

That is so cool that you saw Stephen Page!