Thursday, September 28, 2006

Rome - Day Three

Josh and I got a relatively early start on the day, we walked across the street to a little cafe to have breakfast. The staff didn't speak any English so I had to speak my best Italish and placed my order. I requested a croissant and a latte. The guy behind the counter said something neither of us understood and pointed to his machine and I repeated my order of a latte. He nodded and then a minute later he handed me a tall, frothy glass of milk. Apparently a latte isn't quite the same thing in Italy as it is back home. It was still good.

After breakfast, around 9:30am, we started walking around Rome. Over the course of the day we saw several Roman ruins (where we saw tons of little lizards crawling all around), Monument of Vittorio Emanuele II, and the Colliseum (but we didn't have time to go in). From there we went to the Jewish quarter and had a guided tour of the big synagogue. WOW! I decided that I hadn't done enough damage to my credit card yesterday so we went back to the Spanish steps and I bought a gorgeous belt.

While walking around that area we saw several of the city's poor and saw a man lying on the ground being cradled by someone. Just as I looked his way, his artificial leg fell off and rolled down some steps and landed right in front of Josh and I. Nasty!

We got back to the hotel around 6:00pm after a very long day, freshened up and headed out for dinner. I had a strong craving for pizza. I figured there had to be at least one place in Rome to get a good pizza. ;)

We went to a little place around the corner, got a funghi pizza, relaxed and just enjoyed each other's company.

What a great end to a whirlwind tour of Rome!

No comments: