Monday, February 26, 2007

Academy Awards wrap-up...

*YAAAAAAAWN*

So how many of you stayed up until 12:15 (e.s.t.) this morning to watch the very end of the awards?

I couldn't bear to watch all of the pre-show craptics, err, antics...I mean, really, do we need to see Ryan Seacrest fumble over people's names and ask stupid questions just to fill the air? I turned it off when he asked one of the nominees if he was wearing boxers or briefs...then he filled the viewers in that this actor was doing the new Calvin Klein ads. Whoop-de-do.

I thought that Ellen DeGeneres was one of the better hosts (except, of course, for Billy Crystal who was brilliant at hosting) that the awards have had in years. She was funny and smart and wasn't insulting to the guests.

All I can say is WOW when it came to that dance troupe. How funky was that?!

I was disappointed, however, that they didn't give out the awards people really care about (come on, you all think like that) until at least half way in. I should have just gone to read a book in the meantime. Yes, it was great that some smaller films won awards, yay and all that, but I have a feeling that because the 'good' awards weren't given until later that they probably had a lower than normal viewership.

I was *SO* happy that Jennifer Hudson won! She really deserved the win. But I have to admit that when she and Beyonce were on the stage, it almost sounded like the two of them were having a sing-off, trying at every turn to out-belt each other. I have to admit that Jennifer can out-sing Beyonce, she's just got a bigger, stronger voice. That isn't to say that Beyonce can't sing, she just can't sing in the same league as Jennifer. :P

The best supporting actor, Alan Arkin, was purportedly a surprise...but since I didn't see Little Miss Sunshine, I can't comment if that was well-deserved or not.

There were no surprises with the Best Actor/Actress. I should have gone to bed at this point, but I wanted to see Martin Scorsese win his first Oscar. I know that the envelopes are supposed to be sealed and the vote is a secret, but I don't buy it. His three best friends just 'happened' to be chosen to give that award? I don't believe in those kinds of coincidences, nor do I believe in the Easter Bunny. :P

Overall it was a good show, just WAAAAY too long. I have an idea for next year, they should have one of the 'best editing' winners chop that show down...

By the way, I took my poll down yesterday about whether I should tweak my sidebars or not. 71% of you said that I should leave my adoption blogrolls as they are and not switch to the drop-down menus. Personally I like the drop-down menus, but I thought about it, each time I'd be adding a new blog to it, I'd have to re-jig the menu. After a while it would probably be a pain. :P

11 comments:

kitchu said...

I couldn't stay up... boring... and like you said, craptastic (was that the word?)- but I can tell you that I was THRILLED to read here that Alan took the best supporting actor award- he was SOOOO good in LMS and I can tell you he definitely deserved it!
Kris

wzgirl said...

I THOUGHT that they changed the order. Something didn't feel quite right. I've gotten so used to best supporting actress being one of the first. Loved Ellen, as well - especially the part when she got Spielberg to take a pic of she and Scorsese!! Fun.

And, Al Gore just warmed my heart.

redmaryjanes said...

I didn't watch it. I just wasn't in the mood for glam.

4D said...

I watched it all. It was good but not great.

Keep smilin!

M and M said...

I watched about a total of 20 minutes. I too liked Ellen, but I agree that no one can beat Billy Crystal!

I wanted Jennifer Hudson to win as I thought she was great in Dreamgirls, but that is the only one that I had seen!

Thanks for answering my question about the house!

Polar Bear said...

I turned it on about 10:30 thinking I would watch the last hour when all of the 'big' awards were given. HA!

Unfortunately I didn't turn it off, I watched until the end. I am paying for it this afternoon. It will be an early night for me. :)

What I saw was really good. I am happy for Jennifer Hudson, she deserved it. I am REALLY happy for Forrest Whittaker (sp?)

Anonymous said...

i watched that crap. It sucked. I watched the L word during all of those montage things. Oye, what a bore.

Sam said...

Thanks for the re-cap. I was busy last night and didn't watch it. Now I'm glad I didn't waste the time or braincells on it!

D & S said...

I admire that you were able to stay up that late. I'm glad Jennifer Hudson won as well, I hope she shoves that Oscar in Simon's face for all those mean things he said about her.

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Yay and all that - you crack me up!

I didn't watch any of it. I usually only like to see what everyone is wearing.

"M" said...

I'm a dork and stayed up until the bitter end. Loved Alan Arkin's speech, and am glad about many of the winners, especially AL Gore!