Saturday, February 03, 2007

What if this was their mother, sister or daughter?

Please take a moment and read this. If you're reading this through Bloglines, please take the time to go to my site and read this article (in case it doesn't show up as a hyperlink).

This Saturday started off like any other. I slept in, made my breakfast and read my newspapers (the Globe and Mail & Toronto Star) really slowly. That is pretty much how I start my day of rest. I endeavour to read or engage in activities that bear no resemblance to work. When the time comes, I'll add packing up the hubby and Little Maple for Shul to my to-do list.

On page three of the Globe, I was greeted by the enclosed article that talks about Orthodox Jewish women being attacked aboard Jerusalem's city buses. Were they attacked by muggers? No. Hooligans? No. They were attacked by Orthodox Jewish men vigorously demanding these women move to the back of the bus where it is assumed women are supposed to sit. Hmmm. Further in the article there are references to shops being torched for displaying immodest clothing in their display windows and gangs of men who splash bleach on immodestly dressed women who walk through Jerusalem's Orthodox neighbourhoods. Hmmm.

Seeing an article like this depresses me as it gives narrow minded people ammunition to blight Israel and clouds the reality that members of certain Ultra Orthodox sects have no idea how much damage they are doing to how the outside world perceives them and the Jewish community at large.

This and many cases like it are working their way through the Israeli courts. This is not about religion. The courts should see this in the cold clear light of day as a series of assaults, arson and harassment of a disadvantaged element of society. Some women who live within these enclaves receive treatment just slightly better than the average house cat. It is time for the learned leaders within these communities to re-read the Talmud and practice the Golden Rule to their women. Would this gentleman mentioned in the article be happy if his wife, sister, daughter or mother was thrown to the ground in a similar manner? Many know that to be sent to the back of the bus is dehumanizing and was a flash point for the US civil rights movement. I do not think this gentleman and many like him realize that to be sent to the back of the bus gets a North American's blood boiling.

It is articles like this that cast a dark cloud over the Orthodox movement. As Josh was part of it in his youth, there are benefits to the movement people do not see in the media or are seldom exposed to in their everyday life. The list of positive elements is long, but here is a short list for the benefit of blog readers.

Modesty/education: The notion that a woman should dress like a queen and be beautiful without losing her dignity. A woman who is uneducated cannot be an equal partner in the marriage: teach their children, generate her own income in a dignified way or help her husband when he needs help.

Discipline: Having one day of rest with the family allows one to have quality time disconnected from the electronic world, a chance to become better connected with one's community and recharge one's intellectual batteries.

Rituals: Gives one a chance to learn history, legends, songs and wisdom in an easy to digest form. It gives meaning and connectivity to what looks like to many, a bunch of strange writing and annual rituals that are perceived as a burden. Passover is a good example of this. Everyone knows the seder, but what's special is that my grandmother was born on the second night of Passover and it's on the second night (one year) that my grandmother's broken desk clock which sits in our living room, started moving and stopped when Passover was finished; that alone inspires us to do an extra good cleaning job on the apartment and sing well because we know she is watching over us.

Mitzvahs/Good Deeds/Golden rule: Do what you can, while you can! The Cub Scouts say "do a good turn to somebody everyday". Raising and teaching children is a mitzvah. Donating money to the poor. Taking the burden off of another person's shoulders. Helping an old lady across the street. Giving someone shelter. Most people know a good deed when they see it and it's a built-in assumption that the Almighty is watching.

As it relates to the article above, Jewish values are not being followed, nor are any mitzvahs being done in throwing someone down on a city bus, splashing them with bleach or torching their business. I wonder, in 120 years when this gent goes to the "Pearly Gates", the Almighty looks upon him, his lifetime of mitzvahs, and returns him to Earth in his next life as a woman. HA HA!! (Nelson Muntz battle-cry)

Thoughts?!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was deep. I remember having rocks thrown at our car because we drove through an orthodox neighborhood a few hours before the sabbath started. yeah, there is a lot that needs to be looked at.. .

"M" said...

I like your post and the great values you chose to highlight. I am Jewish (reform) and sometimes feel the orthodox community is almost a totally different religion than mine. What you wrote about, in some ways, reminds me how some of the vaules are the same, even if the execution of them may not be. As for the bus issue...well that just makes me sick and I do have a hard time thinking of how any interpretation of the Torah could support that.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. Thanks for linking to the article. My reconstructionist temple is having a whole year talking about how what affects Jews of one division affects all of us. The most heated discussion was calling our haredi brothers and sisters...well, brothers and sisters.

Excellent list of good values. I might put my own list on my blog sometime in the next week--when I calm down.

Kristine said...

Thanks for posting this. It is really shocking how "fundamentalists" are active in so many different religions - spreading such hate which many times leads to violence and a misrepresentation of the whole religion. What a world we live in. Again, thank you for this.

CA Momma said...

Great, great post.

Anonymous said...

Well, you asked for my take on things as an Israeli and I'll tell you - The majority of Haredi population makes me rejoice everyday in my decision to be an atheist. Not because I necessarily disbelieve in a higher being, but simply because I'm weary of organized religion. And this goes to all organized religions, btw.
It's true that all religions have good in them, but the fact that they are "organized" makes way for fanatic megalomaniac people to root themselves deep inside said organizations. And once that happens... (don't think I need examples here, for any religion)

Gil

M and M said...

Mark here - Michelle and I have been discussing this and she told me about your post and I wanted to read it.

I too read the article (that is how I start my Saturdays too!) and was shocked. It does a disrespect to all Jewish people. Conviction of religion is to be admired, but not at the expense of hurting another human being.

A great thought provoking entry.