Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Which side do you fall on?

I was watching the news tonight and saw a follow-up story on the eight year old girl in Tennessee who was adopted as a three-week old infant. Her birth parents are of Chinese origin and apparently they were going through some 'tough times' when she was born and asked the agency for help. At the time, they didn't understand what adoption meant nor did they realize that this was a permanent decision.

The adoptive father asked her in the interview, "Where would you rather stay, in the United States of America?" (said with a lot of enthusiasm and she answered really quickly) "Or would you rather go to China?" (said with less enthusiasm and almost a bit of anger/hatred.)

She despises her culture and her heritage so much that when she's asked, she tells people that she's Mexican. I have to wonder, did she come up with that on her own? She was seen in the article, running around with a sombrero on her head. Did her adoptive parents buy that for her and tell her to wear that? I might be wrong, but I don't know of many eight year olds who would come up with such a story on their own. I know kids are imaginative, but that kind of takes the proverbial cake...

I understand that this custody battle has been going on for 6+ years and that there really is no "winner" in the case. Yes, the birth parents technically "won", but what did they really win? They'll have their child back, but what is she coming back to? A culture that she now despises and a family that she doesn't know.

10 comments:

4D said...

So utterly sad. No winners. Esp for Anna.

Keep smilin!

Polar Bear said...

The poor little girl. So sad.

"M2" said...

This is sad. And I too seriously doubt the child came up with "mexican" on her own

Thumbelina's Mom said...

Heartbreaking for everyone involved and nobody is a winner, least of all Anna Mae, who probably already has a strong dislike for everything Chinese by the looks of the video clip.

redmaryjanes said...

I find this very distressing. The whole situation is heartwrenching.

OziMum said...

I hate it when I read about story's like that. It breaks my heart - is it really in the best interest of the child?

M and M said...

The poor child - in the middle of all of this.

spitgirl said...

I have to admit that I went through a period of time when I desperately wished I wasn't of Chinese descent. In fact, I hated other Chinese and hated myself for character traits that I thought I needed to fight... again, model minority. I admit I didn't go to the extent of telling people I was Mexican, but I think that's only because I'm not a liar.

Anonymous said...

It's VERY sad, and my heart breaks for this child as well as the family (putting myself in their shoes). Definitely the one I felt the most sorry for though is this little girl. If she's uprooted, I imagine she'll be terrified. As far as her saying she's Mexican...she just MIGHT have come up with that all by herself...my Nicole (almost 7), tells people she's Spanish...we're not Spanish, nor do we know anyone who's Spanish, and we talk about China and her birth heritage frequently...NO idea where she got the idea that she's Spanish. *grin* Kids have fantastic imaginations.

Donna

Cathy said...

I think she could have come up with it on her own. My nephew made a very convincing dog for a good 6 months. Fortunately he grew out of that.

However, in this case, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the adoptive parents had planted certain seeds. When a parent (adoptive of otherwise) sees they may lose the child they love.. I think anything is possible. One would hope though that everyone kept the best interest of the child in mind. Badmouthing her true culture does her a major injustice.

It's a very unfortunate situation for all involved. Very sad.