Friday, February 02, 2007

Are you kidding me?!

So, there's a new movement in Toronto started by our wonderful municipal government. It states that everyone that has a cat should get one of these. Yes, that's right, all Torontonians who are cat owners need to get a license for their cat.

I can hear a collective 'HUH?!' from those reading this. I can understand having a collar on your cat, especially if it's an outdoor cat. I can understand putting an information tag on the collar, in case s/he gets lost. But a license? How on earth can the city enforce that?

Are they going to seriously go door to door and ask if people have a cat? What if you say no, but you really have one? They can't come in to find out, wouldn't they need a search warrant?

I can envision it now...Deuce's picture at the Post Office with a hand-drawn scrawl over it "TORONTO'S MOST WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE!" I mean, seriously, doesn't the city have bigger issues than going after cat owners?

After I read that article it reminded me of this.

So I guess my question is should we really get involved with something so foolish?

By the way, there's still time to vote for me! *hint hint* (Does this count as 'thought provoking'?) ;)

8 comments:

M and M said...

I can think of a LOT better things for the city to be spending their money and focusing their time on!!

I already voted!

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

We already have the by-law in place here. Weird, since our cats are indoor only...
They should concentrate on findin ways to get more cats spayed and neutered.

D & S said...

Are you kidding me? That's one of the dumbest things I've heard of, a license for a pet that doesn't go outside.

redmaryjanes said...

I nominated for the blog awards, but they put it under the wrong category. I just voted for you too. :)

Anonymous said...

Deuce will be legal! Just what a cat always wanted.

Red Sand said...

My vote is in. I'm surprised they are still talking about the whole license thing - they raised that when I lived in TO back in '99... and with regards to another post, you are hardly a sheep.

Carla said...

We've had to get our cat licensed since we moved to our city. He's indoor only (except for when he escapes). The way they "enforce" it is to have the vets send them a list of recorded rabies vaccinations (or maybe there is a govt type body who keeps track of rabies vaccinatios). I dunno, I just know that when we get the letter from the Vet saying rabies vaccination is due, the letter from the city saying it's time to renew the cat's license is upon us.

If the animal "catcher" gets your animal, and they do not have licenses then you pay an extra fine. We are "illegal" in that our cat does not wear his license as he is supposed to do (in case he escapes again).

Good luck with the blog voting!!!!

"M2" said...

Here they check the rabies tags and match with the license and you get mailed an annual tax bill for your pets. But...sadly we cannot claim them as dependents!!!
Considering I have like 30 here-some are in hiding...

Great comment Kathy-concentrate on the spaying and neutering
though I do think here--some of that tax $$ goes to free mobile spay clinics . at least I hope it does