Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Hoppy the bow-legged postman...

I was exchanging emails this morning with Heather and she asked in passing if I had gotten a Mother's Day card in the mail and if I was upset with her since she hadn't heard from me in a while. I asked her 'umm, what Mother's Day card?'. She told me she sent it the Wednesday before Mother's Day and others that she had sent it to had received it. I went on to say that 'if I was mad at you, I'd let you know. I don't keep that bottled up.' :)

I went on to tell her about Hoppy the bow-legged postman, and promised her that I would detail Hoppy's adventures today...

So, we have this postman who delivers the mail to our apartment building who only delivers the mail when he feels like it. We pretty much only receive mail every other day.

Anyways, a couple of weeks ago I met Hoppy in the elevator as he was lugging his bag, and we were talking. You see, Hoppy hurt his foot...he said it wasn't bad, and yes, I should be compassionate about his injury as I've been hobbled lately myself...but I'm a bit annoyed by it.

He uses the elevator to deliver the mail between the floors. All our previous mailmen/women have used the stairs, and it actually gets done A LOT faster. As there are only 6 units on each floor, and only two elevators, so it gets a bit tiresome when he's sitting there waiting for the elevator for each floor to deliver it. He basically ties up one elevator (on the days he bothers to deliver) for a minimum of 30-45 minutes...and G-d forbid that someone is moving the day he decides to deliver the mail, but that's besides the point.

I know I should cut him some slack, really I do, but I LIKE getting my mail. Besides, his job is to deliver the mail...everyday, not just on the days he feels like it.

12 comments:

Headmeister said...

Yeah, ok - so as far as Hop-a-long goes, did you happen to ask him if a big white envelope with a return label that had a womans wide open gaping mouth on the back of it ever showed up? lol...

M and M said...

I believe our post person (a woman) only attends a couple of times a week. Mark and I get a LOT of mail and I can't fathom that there are 2 or 3 days a week that there is NONE when other days it is over flowing the mailbox.

C's Mom said...

I think Hoppy and I would have serious issues.

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I am POSITIVE that our mail "lady" just doesn't deliver our mail on Fridays cause she wants a long weekend. EVERY weekend.

4D said...

It is hard to work when injured but C.P. has benefits and such to use when something happens. I would maybe give customer service a call.

Keep smilin!

crazylady said...

Maybe he spends the day 'off' opening and sealing mail that accidently gets lost. There is reason Ed McMahon never visited your apartment. And a reason Hoppy only works 1/2 time.
I love our postman. He brings me preauthorized funeral arrangements and credit card applications, and flyers that expired. ;)

kerri said...

I must say I love our post lady she is right on time everyday, but hey I did say post "Lady"(ah.. that's the key).Takes a woman to get the job done?
If she could only work on my Master card bill.

Anonymous said...

I think our mailman is schtooking our next door neighbor.

Tracey and Mike said...

Great to see that we're not the only ones with part-time postal deliver! Our mail-lady also seems to have an affinity for long weekends!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he needs some incentive to feel like it...

Sam said...

O...M...G...

You are kidding, right?

momladybird said...

Sounds Like you have got one slack Postman!
Ladybird Bytes Please drop in!