Tuesday, May 29, 2007

What's wrong with this picture?!

Over the past six months or so, I've gotten really into watching The Sopranos, to the point that I watch it every night at 11:00...without fail on Telelatino. It's also on at 9:00pm on A&E, but we're usually watching something else. :P

I don't much care for the extreme violence in the show, and I will leave the room when it's too much. With that in mind, I'm probably going to buy the series when it's over...unless one of you has a copy I could keep borrow. Actually I might poke Josh into buying it for me for my birthday...but don't tell him that. ;)

Now with that in mind, yesterday Josh came home for lunch and we sat on the couch and started channel surfing. He flipped to A & E and noticed that they were showing The Sopranos at lunch time. We just looked at each other and thought 'WOO! We can watch it now, we don't have to stay up late.' That minute of excitement was quickly squashed (at the next commercial break) when we thought 'Hey, there could be little kiddies watching this show.' Not only was the show on just at lunch time, they were doing a Sopranos marathon all day.

Now I'm not one for censorship, but I'm sorry, that show should not be on at a time when little kids could be watching it. I remember when I was young and I used to come home from public school for lunch, the most amount of violence I would see would be Bam-Bam hitting Barney or Fred with his club. That's not quite the same thing as watching Ritchie getting blown away by Janice on The Sopranos.

In A&Es defense, they took out all the swearing and nudity, but they kept in every single second of blood, gore and violence. There's something seriously wrong when a kid can watch that. Yes, I know that in today's 500+ channel universe there are a lot more disturbing things that can be seen, but geez, things like this shouldn't be on at such a time.

6 comments:

4D said...

That is too early for that show to be on. I love it but I have hard time sometimes too.

Keep smilin!

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I COMPLETELY agree! I wish they had that kind of stuff on when kids aren't up. OTOH, it's the parent's job to make SURE the kids aren't watching that kind of stuff. At least, when they are small.....

Sam said...

Cullen is out of school starting next week. It is a full-time job just making sure what he watches is appropriate. You wouldn't believe some of the new animated shows either! Kids see cartoons and they want to watch. Would you like you child watching South Park? And people wonder why our kids are so violent and have so many issues?

D & S said...

I agree with you. Shows like that should be at a time when curious eyes are in bed.

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

My students (they are all 14 years ole) watch Sopranos among other things. The worst show this year that they were completely emulating was "Borat". Makes me sick.

Headmeister said...

That's what's wrong with the media in this country. They will ban the sight of a nipple (which EVERYONE has, male or female) but they will allow programs that show even young teens murder each other. Now don't go running to my social worker or anything, but I would MUCH rather have my children watch nudity on television than crime, violence, and murder. But by the time she comes home, the gas prices will be so high that we'll have to hock the flat screen anyway just to pay for the airfare so it won't be an issue.... ;)