Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Weird...***UPDATE***

A few weeks ago (maybe longer) I registered for an account on Facebook just for the hell of it. I've heard of the site and wanted to see what all the buzz was about. To be honest, it's probably a site meant for people about 15 years younger than I am, but I was freaked out by all the people that I know on it.

I searched for a friend of mine who I had known from public school, but for one reason or another we lost contact and she's there. So are a bunch of other people I went public school/junior high/high school. It's really freaky to see how they've turned out...some of them I haven't seen in 25 years and now they have their picture posted with a couple kids. I haven't yet gathered the 'courage' to send them a message...it would just seem so odd if I did.

Have any of you tried contacting old school friends through it? If so, what has the response been like?

***Just to answer a few questions and post some more thoughts...

Donna, I've been on Classmates but I didn't register under my real name...just to see what it was about. I didn't get much out of that, but was surprised by how many people were there from my past.

Nic, I registered on Facebook under my married name, and even though Josh and I were high school sweethearts...nobody would know to look under his name. At least I don't think so. Plus there's no picture of me. I was considering changing the profile to my maiden name to see how many people are 'looking' for me, but I haven't decided yet. I still haven't decided if I want to continue using it. :)***

14 comments:

Cari said...

Hi there -- I've been on Facebook, and it's been interesting! Reconnecting with old high school friends (and even going out on a few dates with one man...haven't seen him in 20 years!)
It's fun!
Cari

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhonda - I haven't been on Facebook, but I have been on Classmates.com. I was in touch with an old boyfriend and a couple of friends I hadn't spoken to for years - that was cool. You know you're getting old though when you get contacted (through classmates), for your 25 year highschool reunion. ACK!!!!

Donna

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Yep, I've been on Facebook and actually contacted three people I went to high school with! It's kind of weird, but fun.

4D said...

Dan has a Facebook account and there are tons of people from his high school on it. I have the Blog so that is enough of an online addiction.

Keep smilin!

crazylady said...

wow, not sure the world needs my facebook. Somebody stop me please!
Tempted though to find out how the mean people did in life. It would crush me to find out they are swimming in cash with home in Caymans.
The other day I got an email from someone I have never heard of who has added me to her "friends" ..whatever that means. Facebook would not allow me to check who it was without signing up. That cheezed me off.
good luck with that.

aimeeg said...

Hmmm, I never knew Facebook would have old buds on it ( my teeny bopper nieces have it, so I just thought it was other teens). I'd want to see how those quiet, nerdy type kids turned out more than the popular ones.

M and M said...

I am on Facebook but have not found too many people from my early years...more of them are current friends.

D & S said...

I haven't found anyone from high school but I haven't really looked. Shawn on the other hand has found a lot of people from HS and university. It's such a bizzare little community.

Tracey and Mike said...

I avoid facebook because some of my stepdaughter's pictures scare me (things a parent really doesn't want to see!)

Red Sand said...

I joined in order to follow a friend who will be going away for a few months, but I enjoy blogging more. It definitely was unsettling to see how many people I knew were on there. But my page is a lame little thing - it just doesn't pull me in at all.

Anonymous said...

My only thought is what happens if the people you dont want to see find you.

Headmeister said...

I've been contacted by people and I've contacted people myself through Classmates. It's been interesting for sure. I've had people contact me that I didn't want contacting me and all you do is - ignore them. It's really not a big deal, and they don't give out your address or anything... But it's weird to see some of the people I went to school with on there.

Jill and Jaap said...

I didn't use my name (well not my full name) so only people can find me through other peoples friends list. I have connected with a lot of folks--some current, some from my career days (Stay at home mom now) and a ton from highschool. It has been alot of fun. But, yes, only people you want to see you can, and you can reject invites from people too.

Anthony & Crystal said...

I did have an account on Facebook, my brother would not stop sending me request to join. I did find alot of old friends that I had not talked to since high school, which was cool. (I put it under my first and middle name so noone would find me).
Once I saw all the photo's and said hi to everyone, I thought enough was enough and closed my account.
I find blogging hard enough to keep up with!!