Sunday, May 13, 2007

Today the wait seems longer...

So, today is Mother's Day. I have kind of mixed feelings that our 8 month LIDiversary fell today, for a couple reasons.

The first, being obvious that it's yet another Mother's Day and all I have to 'show' for it is waiting. We won't have "Little Maple" home for next year and who knows if she'll be here in 2009. I know I shouldn't sound so glib, and I KNOW this will happen eventually, but it's just how I'm feeling today, and damn it, I'm entitled to feel like it.

The second, which I haven't mentioned before and this is where things get a bit 'private' is that when Josh and I started our journey to parenthood over 9 years ago, we were hoping to make some kind of announcement on Mother's Day that year.

No, I wasn't pregnant, but we were trying and I was hoping to have something to say.

Not only was it not to be, but when we were over at my in-laws that evening, we got a call from the nursing home that my (maternal) grandmother had been rushed to the hospital. By the time we got to the hospital she had already passed.

My grandmother, who Josh and I were very close to, never got to hear anything of what we were planning.

She'll never get to meet "Little Maple". She'll never get to see her or hear her voice.

Of course, the same can be said for my father, but I already discussed that back in March...and today I'm thinking of my grandmother.

18 comments:

Sam said...

It's a bittersweet day. Happy Mother's Day. It is still your day too! Even pregnant moms deserve to celebrate!!! (Yes, you are paper pregnant and don't forget it!!!)

Happy 8-month LID-aversary!!!

M and M said...

A bittersweet day for sure.

Congrats on 8 months and I HOPE that you won't have to go through another mothers day without a baby in your arms.

Lisa said...

Congrats on 8 and too hope this is the last Mother's day without little Maple. Wish I knew what to say to take the pain away, but I know there are no words.

Mamacita said...

Happy 8 month anniversary. I sure hope you're wrong about 2009....because I am about 13 days ahead of you......I say it will be mid 2008....I hope I am right so then I can happily do the "you're wrong" dance and sing as loud as I can.

Kelli said...

Happy Mothers Day- let's hope the days between now, and the Mothers day you finally get to celebrate with little Maple, are few.
Happy 8 months!

wzgirl said...

THis holiday triggers so many things for so many of us. Hey, by the time you read this, I know that you've survived the day..and hopefully enjoyed that cute little cake! Hugs, you.

4D said...

My dear, I am so sorry! What a bittersweet day. One month closer but plans not fulfilled. I wish I could help ease your pain in person. Hugs to you both. My sympathies to you and your family.

crazylady said...

Rhonda, OT
email me at www.searchanddestroytwins@gmail.com

I can't get to email you. It's about tonights CB event.
Sen

Red Sand said...

Happy 8 Months, and although it's come and gone, peaceful thoughts for Mother's Day. It sneaks into our thoughts and emotions, no matter how hard we try, doesn't it?

The Other Sam

Carolyn said...

Sorry for your loss, Rhonda. Happy Belated Mother's Day.

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I'm sorry it's hard day for you, Rhonda. I hope that next year will be different. You're 8 months along, and that counts for something! Still, some days are just bummers. You're allowed to feel sad!

aimeeg said...

I'm sorry this is such a tough time. Congrats on the eight though.

C's Mom said...

I'm sorry. It's lousy when the downsides steal the joy sometimes.

Our day WILL come and 8 less to wait is a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Holidays are so hard.
Concentrate on the one month closer.

Hugs.

D & S said...

Oh I get it Rhonda, I know all about how you're feeling. Congrats on the 8 months, I hope you'll be able to spend Mother's Day with Little Maple soon.

redmaryjanes said...

Happy 8 month LIDiversary! Your loved ones will always live in your heart and you can pass their stories on.

Kristine said...

I feel the same way about my Grandma's. I always wanted my children to know two of the most influential women in my life. It wasn't to be. It is a difficult day for all of us waiting mommies but we get closer every day and with every LIDversary!!! Happy 8th!!

Jill and Jaap said...

Congrats on 8 months.

Hoping next Mother's Day she will be with you. (OR SOON AFTER)