Thursday, May 03, 2007

What a busy few days...

Well, I was hoping to tell you all some fantastic news today, but alas it was not to be...

Josh and I are still in the process of house-hunting and on Monday evening we put an offer on a house...and it was accepted! The offer was a bit more than we really wanted to go, but we were absolutely in love with the house. It probably wasn't the wisest thing to fall in love with it, but oh well.

Of course, it was all conditional based on a house inspection. The inspection happened today, but unfortunately there were major repairs needed to almost every part of the house. To say that we're disappointed is an understatement, but there will be others.

The inspector said that the house needed a new roof, new furnace and air conditioner, the attic had black mould...mmm sign me up, and that's just a few of the problems. He also noticed that one of the window frames was chewed on. Yes, you read that right...the frame was chewed on. He wasn't sure if it was a squirrel or a raccoon, but there were bite-sized chunks missing from it. Weird.

When Josh and I asked the inspector how long the furnace would last, he looked at his watch and said 'what time do you have?' Hmm, I think that was telling in and of itself. C'est la vie. Gotta love a home inspector with a good sense of humour...

When we were telling our realtor all the problems that the house had, he said that he could probably get them to lower the price about $2,500 to $6,000...That's great, the repairs that we were told about would have cost us anywhere from $11,000 to $15,000. Anyways, we backed out of the deal and we'll get our deposit back next week. *sigh*

Another month, another gratuitous shot of the loonie/toonie jar...

12 comments:

C's Mom said...

Sorry about the house...the 'mold' word sent me over the edge!

Better luck next round.

I wish I could be a better saver. One vice at a time, though, and I just limited my chocolate intake to nearly nada!

Stephanie said...

So sorry about the house. I know what it's like to fall in love with one and then have to walk away. If this house wasn't in Canada, I would swear my dog, Bella was the culprit of the chewing. Here's to finding another one you love soon!

4D said...

I am sorry to hear about the house! It is such an elation to find one and then to be surprised like that. Keep at it and you will find the right one for you.

That is great about your fund! Your money jar inspired me to start putting change away. I have not counted it but it is adding up.

Keep smilin!

Red Sand said...

Oh, not fun. We went through something like that when we first started househunting, although in our case, it worked out for the best. Here's to the next find.

Jill and Jaap said...

Too bad about the house.

I wish I was a saver too...

M and M said...

I am so sorry that the house you wanted didn't pan out. On the positive side, you enjoy where you live so you have the time to find the EXACT house for you.

Congrats on the savings!!

D & S said...

Sorry about the house but it is better to run from mold and old furnaces.

Good for you on your savings. You'll have a pretty penny saved up by the time you go to China.

aimeeg said...

I'm so sorry about the house. It sucks when you fall for something even though you know walking away is the right thing.

I'm impressed by the saving! We need to get better at it.

Cari said...

Probably a wise move about the house, but still so dissapointing! The right one will come along soon....
And, at least we're still neighbours!
Cari

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you didnt get the house. It is better to let that one go. There will be others.

Headmeister said...

Take it from someone who is addicted to house hunting, even though I already own a home and have no intentions of moving anytime soon (lol): Buy a house that is structurally sound and needs nothing repaired. You can ALWAYS knock out a wall to make a room bigger or redo something so that it's more esthetically pleasing... but it's another story entirely when you have to move out for 4 months to rid the house of MOLD!!!

And WOW on that looney tooney jar! I have some leftover change to send ya ;)

Sam said...

Bummer about the house. Keep looking. You know it's out there somewhere. You may have to "convince" the owners it's time to sell, but I have faith in you!