Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Dipping my toe in...

Before I get into my rant, I wanted to mention my update on how the loonie/toonie jar is going. I went to the bank this morning and deposited December's contribution in the "Little Maple" account, plus the amount that Josh and I agreed to add in each month. So far, so good. :)

Now for my rant, and let me preface it by saying I am NOT a naive person. I know that anything written online, whether it's a blog or not, is within the 'public' sphere and is fair game.

This morning, as usual, I looked at statcounter.com (since I like to see how people find my blog) and I noticed about half a dozen links to a site called chinaadoptionsites.com so I went to take a look. The site was just a list of blog links and LID dates. There was no other information offered at the time. I thought it was a bit strange so I eventually emailed the owner of the site to find out what was up.

Now I don't have a problem with my blog being 'out there', but what I do have a problem with is people taking my blog address and LID date and posting it on a disparate site where there's no information about the person posting. Perhaps I got a little paranoid or 'weirded out' about it, but I think it was justified at the time.

This isn't to mean that I want anyone taking my blog and LID off their blogroll, I'm fine with that because more or less I follow along with their blog as well.

Anyways, after a few more email exchanges with this person it came out that she didn't realize that she was doing anything wrong (and technically she isn't), it was just a bit of a jolt to see everything splayed out there.

Since this morning she has taken my blog off her site and has added a preamble about how she didn't mean any harm, and I believe she's sincere, but perhaps she was a bit unaware of how people would react to such a site.

Everyone has their own opinion about online 'security' and 'privacy' and I'm sure I've ruffled some feathers with this post, which was not my intention.

5 comments:

M and M said...

$442+ in one month - way to go!! With the wait time increasing, you are going to have enough money for a trip BEFORE you go to China!!

I am not going to touch the privacy thing...I am still a bit conflicted on the subject myself.

C's Mom said...

Holy Moly...you scandalous one! ;0)

How could you be ruffling anything? I say if it's your blog then go on with your opinion. That's what this whole bloggy stuff is about.

You stated yourself just lovely in my book and - know what? Ya didn't even need my approval ;0)

Oh, I am impressed with the serious dinero you are storing up in that jar!

Anonymous said...

I second the $442.00 kudos!!!

Here's how I see it: If you ask me, you can pretty much have or borrow anything of mine, with my blessing. If you assume that you can use or take it, or if you help yourself to it without asking, I will choke you out. I understand the whole "it's on the web, it's free-game" thing, but I'd still like a quick email to okay something first, so I feel ya my sistah... ;)

Anonymous said...

I think it's good to let someone know about the general "netiquette" rules out there. Now she knows, and hopefully will be more respectful--if no one had emailed her, she may not have ever learned her mistake. Well done:)

And I'm SO impressed by the jar--we constantly steal money from Jade's jar! We are awful, awful people!

D & S said...

Good for you on the savings! You will be at your goal in no time.

I guess everyone assumes that because something is on the web it's a free for all but we all know what happens when one assumes...