Monday, January 08, 2007

Pass the salt...

because I'm prepared to eat my hat.

So Paula Zahn did a follow-up piece to Friday's train wreck of a round table discussion on Chinese adoption. She mentioned that she got 'thousands' of emails from viewers, I'd say so with how offensive that show was. Though she again mentioned, or at least implied, that you can only adopt if you're "rich, good looking or thin". I'm sorry, but that's not true. You have to have X amount of money, yes, but looks has nothing to do with it, puh-lease! You have to be under 40 on the BMI scale, you don't have to be thin, you just can't be (what's defined as) morbidly obese. I wish she would just speak from facts and not try to make things sound 'fascinating', or make a story up that just doesn't exist.

Was it just me or did she seem really nervous when she was talking? She stumbled over her words a few times and seemed to take a few pauses to collect herself. I wonder if she was given a stern talk by her superiors, because I've never seen her lacking composure before.

I was glad to see that she apologized for the piece and if 'feelings were hurt'. I was also glad that Cenk Uygur apologized as well, and basically said that he was out and out WRONG for the things he said and that he made light of such a serious topic.

I wished that Roland Martin would have taken the blame for his offensive remarks though. But I guess I can't ask for too much, can I?

Overall, it was a better discussion, hey, it couldn't have been worse, right? However, it could have gone further and deeper. I guess they did as good a job on the topic (with their heads up their arses) as CNN is capable of doing. I think I feel a little bit better than I did on Friday night, but that's not saying much.

I might add that David Youtz handled himself *extremely* well and he's my hero. :)

7 comments:

Big Ben said...

Fat people should not be allowed to adopt, if you can't take care of yourself how can you take care of a baby?

M and M said...

I am glad they 'tried'. I am also glad that they took the 'thousands' of e-mails and listened (sort of) or at least realized they had made an error - however, I don't think they 'fixed' the error that they had made.

As for Roland Martin - I will NEVER listen to anything he is involved in - EVER!!!

Anonymous said...

Um, I was about to comment and then I saw the Big Ben comment... is that for real?

Rhonda said...

Apparently so. I've been 'flamed'. Awesome.

4D said...

I agree with ya Rhonda. Good to see that we can band together and make our voices be heard. CNN will never get this topic right.

Keep smilin!

Anonymous said...

"Fat people should not be allowed to adopt" Is this from God?? Should stupid people be allowed to adopt or give birth??
Marnie

D & S said...

While they did try to fix what they screwed up on Friday, I think they still have a long way to go to make things better.