Saturday, January 06, 2007

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear...***UPDATE***

Have you ever heard the phrase "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"? My understanding is that if something isn't very good to start with, there isn't much you can do to improve it, but I'm going to try to disprove that.

Now before you continue reading this, put all your frustration and anger aside for a moment or two, because I am just as frustrated and angry as you all are.

If we consider that Paula Zahn's show is the aforementioned "sow's ear", there couldn't possibly be any way I could turn it into a "silk purse", right? Wrong.

There is something positive to be gleaned from this debacle, believe it or not. It has united the adoption community like never before. Everyone is equally, and rightfully so, angry and moved to do something about what we all saw, heard about or read on Friday night, this is the "silk purse". This is the positive spin that I see. We can write about this on our blogs, and we can write letters to CNN.

Unlike before this show where, at times, I had felt that we were alone in our adoption process, now I feel part of a bigger "family". Now I don't know if any of this will help the situation or change the minds of the 'bigwigs' at CNN, but it's a start. Unfortunately it feels like it's going to an uphill battle for all of us and our children, but at least we can attack that hill together.

***I just wanted to thank you all for the supportive comments and emails I've been getting. For the last couple of days when I'd normally have 50 hits to the blog, I'm now getting 130-150. I know everyone doesn't have time to comment on posts everyday, but for those that do, thank you. Plus, it's always nice to find new blogs. ;)***

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? You didn't like the episode of "Paula Zahn meets the Three Stooges"? My 11 year old Sanshui daughter told me not to be too rough on her.

Don't you know Paula just does not have the time to do research on stuff like that.

Joe

(Emi and Hana's dad)

Anonymous said...

I'm just so glad that the curriculum has included Media Studies as a component of the English program and I am glad that I have been teaching my students to question the news. What a teachable moment this can be!

Anonymous said...

Great Post......
What a way to look at this!
Thank you

M and M said...

I would like to be a fly on the wall at CNN right now - I wonder how many angry e-mails they have received.

This whole situation HAS brought the community together as you said and that can never be a bad thing.

Anonymous said...

You and me sister, we'll put on our housecoats, write HGC on our foreheads with a Sharpie, and attack CNN hill together!!! lol...

I'm not trying to make light of the situation at all - just wanted to further validate your point, because without China adoption, we wouldn't have such great laughter making references in our lives. Because of China adoption, you and I have met, and have some serious laughs, and have created an online kinship that pales in comparison to some of the relationships I have with blood relatives.

I got yo back, sistah... we all do... for you, and for each other :)

Rhonda said...

Hey now, chicky...it's HCG! The other way around would just sound...icky. ;)

I've got my housecoat on and ready to rock'n'roll. :P