Friday, January 05, 2007

Paula Zahn on Adoption ***UPDATE***

Let me start off by saying that I rarely rant on here for various reasons, but this time I feel that I must. I just saw the episode of Paula Zahn's show this evening and they discussed the new restrictions on adoption. I went into watching the show with an open mind and wanted to hear her take on the situation. I thought, perhaps, she would have an interesting viewpoint on the topic, since she's running a series on "Racism in America".

Wow, am I sorry I watched it.

It started off fair enough, talking about the restrictions, but when she was talking to an advocate for an obesity group (I forget the name of the group, but suffice it to say she was their advocate), things went downhill QUICKLY.

This woman went on about how unfair it is for morbidly obese people to be singled out, which I'm not going to come down on one way or the other. The rules are what the rules are, and we can't change them. Then she went on to talk about how agencies cannot discriminate about who they take on as clients and that she sees this as a problem for some agencies.

The advocate mentioned that agencies, specifically in San Francisco, cannot discriminate against people for any reason and that she sees this as unethical when dealing with Chinese adoption. She's basically saying that it's unethical for the San Francisco agencies to deny morbidly obese clients just because they are morbidly obese. I would take the other side of the argument, it would be unethical of the agencies to TAKE ON obese clients when the agencies know full well what the rules are.

Then things went from bad to worse.

Paula Zahn had a roundtable discussion about "why China?" and some of the comments that came out of these people's mouths had me gasping. They didn't discuss the real reasons for "why China?" (ie., the problems with domestic adoptions, etc.) Like I said, I don't really want to rant and rave about this.

Anyways, then some of her guests were making some of the most racist remarks:

"Oh, people want to adopt from China because they want a little "China doll" and she'll be well-behaved"

People are adopting from China because they want a child who will "be good in math"

They're adopting because "they'll eventually own their own store"


I find it interesting that she had NO representation from any domestic or international adoption agencies. Of course she wouldn't that would make for BALANCED journalism (and that's something that CNN is simply not known for).

WTF?! I couldn't believe the stuff that was coming out of their mouths...and this was supposed to be a discussion of "Racism in America".

Paula Zahn, take a LONG, HARD look in the mirror.

If you have an opinion on this, and I'm sure you all do, please leave comments below. I allow anonymous comments, so if you want to leave something and you're shy or whatever, feel free.

I think I'm going to go sit in the corner and have a time-out!

***If you want to see the full transcript of tonight's show, click here, it's about 2/3 of the way down the page.***

13 comments:

Sam said...

W...T...F...???? Gee, I'm thrilled that Kieren will be so good in math and will own a store one day! I guess I should go dress up my little China doll in a new dress so she can give lessons on manners to her big brother! NOT!!!! Again, W...T...F...?! (Did I surpass your sarcasm quota for the day?) Some people are just idiots!!!

Anonymous said...

Yep... welcome to America... I always had the thought that when I moved here I would see/hear racism (more then when I was living in Australia and yes, it is there too) well, I never saw the show but saw the comments and so decided to read the transcripts... OH MY GOD... every parent wants their child to grow up healthy, happy etc to have one that is great at school where you don't have to worry is a bonus... forget what country they are from. As for owning a shop... well, her father is a Vendor and has his own business... she will end up helping him load the truck - yep, when I am working on a Sunday... Mike will give her a little job to do and spend time with her (before they would both sit down and watch the Football). I think that this is as close to a shop that she is going to own. I would just want her to do what she wants to do in her life... I would support her regardless of whether she was good in school or not... wanted to help in our business (one day) or not... this Paula - whatever her name is... well, it was obvious that when she spoke the bubbles would come out of her head...
Felicity

Anonymous said...

I actually didn't watch it because I was in a pissy mood and kind of figured that there would be something in it that pissed me off more. Little did I know (after reading the transcripts) that the whole frickin thing would piss me off!

D & S said...

I just read the transcript and it made my blood boil! That is some of the most rude, offensive and malicious comments I've ever heard. I can't believe the misconceptions they were spewing! Incredilbe they have a forum to spread such ignorant comments and nobody to balance it out.

M and M said...

Mark and I were speechless, disgusted, ill, mortified and flabergasted (?) at the 'stuff' that was coming out of the mouths of those people on the show!!
We wrote to CNN -what good it will do I don't know, but if everyone wrote...
I think with that one segment, they set the international adoption community back a few years!!
The sad part is - people who don't know anything about international adoption will see this segment and think that that is the way it is, those are the reasons that people adopt internationally.

4D said...

I hear ya! It was appaling. We were so shocked.

Keep smilin!

Anonymous said...

I think there will be a lot of people writing to CNN and complaining. I didn't see the show but read the transcripts and was absolutely disgusted.

Special K said...

Rumor Queen has a whole list of links to lodge complaints with. I didn't see the show but I read the transcript and was outraged. I sent my complaints.

Anonymous said...

Both Anthony & I were appalled at the CNN special. We were anxiously waiting to watch it, and had told our family to do so as well.
Then to watch that spectacle......!
It sure did make it seem like the only reason that people chose to adopt from China is because they think they will get a smart child.
Who could be so ignorant!

And to think this is from a major news source........

C's Mom said...

Haven't seen it and avoiding the transcript for now. Uh, I have this feeling in my wee brain that it is going to piss me off. I do not want to be pissed off when I am on call. Not good. I'll check it....just after the weekend.

Anonymous said...

I Tivo'd it but after hearing what everyone else had to say about it, I refuse to watch it. I won't even read the transcripts, because I know how pissed off I am jsut hearing some of the comments made on the show, so I don't need to get homicidal by reading it for myself.

Oh, how I loathe stupidity and bigotry.

Chantele said...

I saw the show, too. I was literally immobile after seeing it, that is how shocked I was. I am one of those who are not able to adopt from China, but I don't feel discriminated against. I respect the rules that China has put into place. I can't say that I like them, but discrimination was never on my mind when the news of the tougher rules came out.

As far as all the racist remarks that were spoken - I wasn't interested in adopting from China in hopes of getting a "China doll who would one day become a doctor." And I don't think ANY of us even had that in mind when seeking international adoption.

A bunch of ignorant idiots - plain and simple.

BTW, I am new to your blog and I look forward to coming back.

Chantele

Anonymous said...

AAAAhhhhhh!!! WTF?!? I can't even speak or type clearly! Amazingly atrocious!