Sunday, January 07, 2007

You know what? I'm still angry ***UPDATE***

This started off as a comment on Heather's blog, but it got too long so I decided to not leave it there and turn it into a rambling post instead.

I was so utterly livid after watching that show (twice), I literally couldn't see straight, and I still am.

I watched it once alone, staring at the TV like the RCA dog (you know the look), and then again when Josh came home. I ended up pausing the show after every dumb comment so we could discuss it, which believe me, took an eternity to view.

It's amazing how many hits my little blog had after my post about it. I had 130+ hits on Friday night and 150+ on Saturday. I think the controversy is dying down a bit, or at least the 'looky loos' have stopped popping in, because my hit counter is back to normal now. I just wished that some of the people who had viewed my blog for the first time would have left comments, so they could have aired their views as well.

I always like reading comments, it makes the blog seem a little more 'worthwhile'. I'm not saying that it isn't worthwhile if there are no comments, but it's just a nice value added. :)

I probably won't be home tomorrow night to see Paula Zahn, not that I'd go out of my way anyways, but I want to see if she'll make any kind of retraction (but I won't hold my breath).

I talked to my friend E (aka "Spitgirl") about the show and told her about the controversy and she said she might write a post about it. Hopefully if she has time, she'll post.

Anyways, on to happier things...

Yesterday I went to my nephew, Z's birthday party! Yes, there was a family party on Tuesday, but yesterday's was for his friends and classmates. It was at a kiddie play place (I won't divulge the name of it), but he seemed to have a great time. There was lots of food, fun and he was SO happy!

I've been migraine-y all weekend, so being at the party was a bit painful (head-wise), especially when the cake came out. Hearing a bunch of kiddies scream, err sing, Happy Birthday was rather...ouchy, and that combined with the strobe lights, well, let's just say I had my eyes closed throughout that. ;) But I'm just glad I was there, migraine or not.

I talked to my mom (who thankfully missed the Paula Zahn show) and a friend of hers, B, about what happened. The look of shock and awe on their face was palpable. My mom and B listened intently about all the unbelievable things that were said and just shook their heads by the end of it. I told my mom that I have it on tape, but she said she'd probably be too pissed off to watch it. She's coming over next weekend, so we might sit down and watch it then.

Perhaps by then, I'll have calmed down...

***I don't normally point out comments that I get on the blog like this, but I just looked at the comments and saw a very thoughtful one from someone named Aorijia in Spain. Take a moment and look at it, it's nice to see that people who aren't even in the adoption process are taking an active interest in this controversy, and sharing it with others.***

6 comments:

C's Mom said...

I don't know bout that...it'll be like ripping the scab off every time you watch it. I have yet to see the offending show. I'm still psyching myself up for it.

Anonymous said...

I still have it on tape, but I haven't watched it since yesterday morning (to be sure it all wasn't just a nightmare).
Sorry you are still feeling the effects of all that negativity, sweet girl. You can bet your A$$ that Zahn hasn't lost an ouce of sleep over it.

t~ said...

I did send my complaint in but the whole thing was so ridiculous that I won't waste another ounce of my energy on someone's ignorance.

M and M said...

I too have it on tape, but have not watched it again. Mark and I are still talking about it and are in total shock.

I will be watching (or taping) the show on Monday to see what she has to say...

Kristine said...

Having to watch that TWICE!! Yuck. Talk about torture. We have calmed down and when I sent the transcript link to friends and family, my best friend asked me if it was a Howard Stern show because she couldn't believe how offensive it was!!! She then researched the "panel" and was amazed that these people had the credentials they did. I could go on but... thanks for posting your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am leaving you a comment, such as you suggest, which I didn't do during the weekend.

I am not from the USA, but from an European country (Spain) which happens to be the 2nd one, (after the US) that adopts more babies from China.

And even though I am not an adoptee myself, I got so shocked after reading the transcription of the CNN program, that I had to translate it into Spanish and let more people have a look at it.

It's not only a matter of having ONLY people who have a clue about an issue, talk about it. I think it takes also common sense, and sensitivity: I don't know much about adoption, but I would never have uttered so much senseless b*llshit about it. The speakers in that program showed to have a great deal of prejudices, which I find sad.

I hope that your writings against that shameful evening will be heard, and that you all will receive the apology you deserve. I also hope that the viewers had the common sense the speakers lacked, so that they could analyse the extent of the stupidity that could be heard that day. And last, but not least, I hope that this issue will have a good side, by uniting all the parents who adopt/adopted a baby, so that their voices and concerns can be better heard.

Sorry for the speech, and also for my English ;-). Bye, and the best luck to you all from Spain.