Thursday, January 04, 2007

Halle-freaking-lujah!

I went to the dentist this morning for my FINAL appointment for my two crowns. It feels like this saga has been ongoing for months, rather than a measly few weeks. Believe me, as much of a chocaholic as I am, eating that much pudding (and other 'soft' food) is NOT fun in large quantities. Did I really just say that?!

Anyways, I got to the appointment for 10:00 and got two shots of freezing. Before he did any work, I asked him if there was any additional charge because I had to come back a fourth time (because of their screw-up), and he told me 'no, my job is to keep you happy.' gotta love that!

The dentist took out the temporary crowns and put in the permanent ones, but didn't cement them in place, as I had to go to the 'colourist' and have them hand painted. The dentist sent me on my way to the colourist who was a block and a half away, and told me to walk with my mouth closed as the crowns weren't in securely(since the colourist would have to manipulate them) and they may fall out.

I got to the colourist's office and he took out an artist's palette and started painting my crowns. It took him a good 20 minutes to get the colour 'just right', he had to find the right shades and then commented that he had to find the right shade of grey. GREY?! While I don't have the brightest white teeth out there, they certainly aren't GREY!

After he got the colour right, he sent me on my way and told me to go do something for an hour and a half while he baked and dried my teeth. You don't know how disturbing that sounds...though I can't say it's really all that pleasant for those of you reading this. :P

So what's a girl to do with an hour and a half on her hands, a credit card and a nice big mall across the street?! I'll give you a moment to ponder this...

I wandered around the mall, went into a few stores, but since my mouth was still frozen I didn't really feel like dealing with store clerks, so I went into HMV and bought some CDs. I guess I have eclectic tastes, I bought The Beatles "Love", Feist "Open Season" and Gordon Lightfoot "Complete Greatest Hits". Come on, what Canadian doesn't (at least) like Gordon Lightfoot?!

Anyways, before I knew it, the time passed. I went to the dentist's office and, of course, I started getting a migraine...not fun. Regardless, he had to put the crowns in permanently. I'll be damned if I was going to come back again. He gave me a couple more shots of freezing, woo...

He popped the crowns in, cemented them in place, and voila! I told him that I had a bit of a gritty feeling on the roof of my mouth and he told me to go to the washroom and use some Scope, swish it around and spit it out. Easier said than done.

Keep in mind that my mouth was completely frozen. I put the cup of Scope up to my mouth, closed my mouth, attempted to swish it and it all dribbled down my chin. Thankfully I was standing right over the sink or I would have been wearing it. That was NOT my shining moment. :P

After that I paid the freaking bill, just under $2200...blah, but at least it's done.

By the way, tomorrow night on "Paula Zahn Now" at 8pm on CNN, she's devoting some time to discuss Chinese adoption and the new regulations. I don't imagine that she's going to say anything we don't know...this is more of a head's up. ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that's a crappy day! I have such a huge phobia of the dentist that I just know I wouldn't be able to go through what you did today. At least you can now flash those pearly greys! ;)

C's Mom said...

Wow...glad that's over.

But, just think. Now you have lovely chops AND Gordon Lightfoot. What more could a woman want?

D & S said...

You've been through a lot. And that bill...ouch! At least you have cool music to listen to.