Friday, January 12, 2007

Sushi pizza

Ok, Kathy, are you drooling yet? A few of you asked in a previous post what sushi pizza is, well a picture's worth a thousand words.

Actually, this is the only picture that I found of sushi pizza. The one that Josh and I went out for looked A LOT better than that and it was oriented differently. I'm not actually enamoured with this picture, it makes it look, well, kind of messy.

Basically what it is, is grilled rice with a bit of sweetness and a little bit of a wasabi kick. On top of the rice is a tiny pat of wasabi, topped with avacado, then a HUGE piece of salmon (the salmon pieces were so long and thick that they hang over the edges of the rice), and then salmon roe on top. Josh had the salmon and tuna pizza. I'm really not a fan of the taste of tuna sushi, but he loves it.

We went to Ichiban Sushi (there are about 20 locations all around Toronto, plus there are more opening this year). We sat down and they served green tea and beans, then miso soup...Mmmm.

Anyways, you get 6 pieces and it's $9.95 (the tuna sushi pizza is $12.95), it's considered an appetizer, but the pieces are so large, we couldn't eat anything after that. Though sometimes, Josh indulges in a spicy tuna handroll in addition to that.

Anyways, when the bill came, it was $26.10 and for those of you that read my blog regularly know that I'm collecting loonies and toonies, so I handed him $40.10 and asked for loonies and toonies in the change. He came back with $23.90 in change. Oops. :P Gotta love paying $16.10 instead...

(Some of you think that the picture is what we had last night, it's not...it's just a picture I found online - for illustration. But next time I might take a picture of it. I wonder what kind of strange looks I'd get in the restaurant though.) ;)

9 comments:

spitgirl said...

GAH! You're making me hungry for sushi.

Donna said...

YUMMMMMMM! I know what I'm having for lunch!

:)

Donna
Our blog: Double Happiness!

Anonymous said...

Oh man! Looks so good, my mouth is watering!

wzgirl said...

OMGosh - I've never seen such an incredible thing. The bottom part on the picture appears tempura-ish, but you said rice...curious.

One of my faves is a Hamachi roll with mango. Yum!

Anonymous said...

Ichiban is my favorite (apart from our local place). I have enver tried the pizza, but plan to in the future.

M and M said...

So is that the rice on the bottom - the deep fried looking thing??

Interesting...

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm.... I had sushi just lastnight! I had takeout, so I never get Sashimi when I gotta drive it all the way home with the heat blasting in my car...lol. BUT - I DID have a green dragon roll and two california rolls, with an avocado salad w/miso dressing.... to die for! Now I want it AGAIN!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, very interesting. Too bad I'm not a sushi fan.

Kristine said...

Just finished sushi (we love spicy tuna rolls!!) and robata for dinner, delic. That pizza looks FABULOUS!! Haven't seen it out here yet but we will be looking!!!! Nummy.