Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Anything for a buck...

This morning I was looking through my Gmail (you know the evil email-reading robot crawl at the top) and a headline caught my eye. In the light of such a horrendous tragedy, I cannot even fathom the mindset behind this, other than to say it was obviously influenced by greed. Any money that's made from the sale of such "great domain names for development" should be donated to any fund that may be set up for the students, their parents, etc. To make a buck off of this is just downright wrong. At least one of the people who was interviewed for that article said it was just pure greed that led him to put that domain name up for sale. Personally, I'd add stupidity to that.

I've been emailing a few people about the massacre and the 24 hour news stations response to it. With such an awful story, I have to admit that I was interested in it...just from the perspective of how unbelievable it is. I literally felt sick to my stomach when I turned on CNN last night (yes, I should know by now not to get my 'news' from there...but I still go).

Not only were there reporters standing next to the students during the candlelight vigil, but they also had a non-stop feed of sticking microphones in the faces of grieving students. Granted, CNN isn't the only offender in doing this, they're just the best at being offensive.

If that wasn't bad enough, they had a preview for Larry King, who of course was going to continue to talk about the story and bring out guests to talk about it. I *think* he was going to have some students from Virginia Tech as well as Columbine. Why won't anyone let these kids (and they ARE kids) grieve? Leave them alone.

What CNN has done (and will continue to do until the next tragedy) is no better nor worse than what people are trying to do on Ebay. I almost long for the 24 hour news coverage of Anna Nicole Smith...well, no not really, but this is just a bit too much to take.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's a big "ick" from me too...

Anonymous said...

They will do anything for a story. It is sick. Look at the mess they made of Anna Nicole. Honestly, do any of us really care about her business?

4D said...

That domain story makes me want to go wash my hands. Awful.

Keep smilin!

Anonymous said...

Can't agree more.

t~ said...

I went to blog about this same crap and how offensive news casters can be with their microphones, but I couldn't get the wording right. You did and I couldn't agree more....I'm just so over it all.

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I'm with you. I hate it when they do that to grieving people. Even "reputable" news sources go crazy and push the limit. As for Anna Nicole, ENOUGH! I am sooo sick of it.

D & S said...

I don't know what's wrong with people. Just let these poor kids grieve in peace.

Sam said...

I stopped watching the news. Back to the Disney channel for now.

Jill and Jaap said...

me too.. I will put on the radio breifly to a news station just to get a glimpse of what is going on in the world...but other than that, I just can't watch the news. They show too much all the time...people start to get immuned to it and don't feel it anymore, ...and I DO. I am so sad about VTech and Columbine, and all the other tragedies, I get very emotional and I just can't watch newscasters do this anymore to people just to get ratings.

redmaryjanes said...

The whole situation is just horrifying to me. The press have lost all sense of their humanity. They care for no one.

Anonymous said...

I read local blogs for my paper and summarize and link to what the bloggers are talking about. It's usually a lot of fun, but I truly hate big story weeks. I have to work to distance myself after the tragedies. Sometimes I just turn the computer off and walk away to clear my head. A person just can't wallow in that kind of ugliness, it's not healthy.

Headmeister said...

Ditto. Period.