Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Chutzpah 101 ***UPDATE***

Chutzpah as defined by dictionary.com gives the best description of what this is. I'm in utter shock and well, basically appalled by an invitation I received today.

I've been invited to a surprise bridal shower (don't worry, the bride doesn't know about the blog, so I'm not giving away her surprise). In and of itself that's nice and that's where the story SHOULD begin and end, but noooo that would be too easy (and nothing is ever easy).

So inside the invitation was a photocopied piece of paper where you have to fill in your name. Apparently they couldn't have done a mail merge and put people's names on it...to give it a bit more of a personal panache (yes, I'm being sarcastic).

Below that there are three boxes:

1. I will be attending. Enclosed is my cheque made out to (name omitted to protect the guilty) in the amount of $40.00 to cover all costs associated with (event) including taxes and gratuities.

2. Unfortunately, I am not able to attend and would like to contribute $_____ to her money envelope from the group.

3. Unfortunately, I am unable to attend.


Now there are several things here that annoy me.

1. If you can't afford to throw a bridal shower for someone (and in this case it's for this person's sister), then don't throw it. To add to that, you certainly don't ask your guests to cover the costs of the event. That's almost beyond chutzpah and leads right into jaw-dropping...or at least that's the way I see it.

2. To ask for money from people who won't be attending the event is also a bit galling, but not nearly as much as the above.

3. If you don't contribute it makes you look really cheap.


Below that it says "No gifts please. If you desire, at the (event), you may place a little "something" in our group money envelope which will be given to (bride).

Now, this also irks me because not only do you have to pay to cover the sister's costs for the event, but you also have to give cash to the bride. Granted, all newlyweds need money to start off, but to ask for that is chutzpahdic.

When I had my bridal shower, if people wanted to get me something, they would ask where we were registered. That, I would think, would be the 'norm'...but to ask for cash to pay for the event AND cash for the bride is simply beyond the pale.

The gift, whether the guest wants to give cash or a tangible item, should be up to the guest not the host.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, she also misspelled my name...grrr.

Thoughts? I'm interested in what your take is on all of this...

***First of all, thanks for reinforcing what my take was on all of this...and not thinking I'm the crazy one in all of this. ;)

I also got a fair amount of comments on Maya's Mom (the site I mentioned last week where I've also uploaded my blog).

Now for the piece de resistance (which I intentionally left out until I got comments about the situation)...the invitation came from mishpachah, though we're not close...obviously, (and she still can't *@&$#^! spelling my name). So yes, add all the pieces together and it leaves a VERY sour taste in my mouth.

Now, as it's a family function, I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place about going. Technically I should go, but I don't want to...unless, of course, I luck out and I get 24 hour Typhoid fever. :) Based on how I feel about the situation as a whole though, I'm really leaning towards not going and not sending a gift.

If this person was SO strapped for cash (which she isn't), she should have asked other family members to help her pay for it (ie., her brothers, her mom, etc)...not the guests.

It is certainly more common, having more than one person as a host/hostess of the event, rather that the way this fiasco was set up.***

28 comments:

D & S said...

I concur with you 100%. If you can't afford to hold the function, you shouldn't expect your guests to pay for it. Keep it small or let someone else do it.

Headmeister said...

Holy sweet bejesus.... how can you have any self respect after sending out an invitation like that?????????? I say you decline the invite and decline sending any check of any kind, and then send a gift seperately.

LaLa said...

Oh, you must go so we can hear the details...secretly take photos too. This is the weirdest thing I have ever heard (well, for a shower) YUCK I wonder if the bride knows and how mortified she would be...

Sam said...

Holy Crap!!!! Where do these people come from?!?! I hope you aren't going!

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

I say, you should put a dime in the envelope with a note that says, "Buy yourself some class."
Sorry, but I'm tired, suffering from insomnia and feeling a little protective of you, my friend.
Sheesh, where do people get the nerve?

Kelli said...

Wow, That is crappy! I would send a card instead of even replying. If you can't afford to host the bridal shower at a place where it costs $40 per person, why pick a place that costs $40 per person? Most bridal showers I've been to were at someone's house with homemade food. that is so tacky...

Kelli said...

The charging part is tacky. not the having it at someone's house. that's normal.

Red Sand said...

I've come across this sort of thing before - people being told what their expected contribution to the Jack & Jill is, or what the value of the wedding gift must be, based on whether or not they travelled... It bothers me to no end. Gifts of any kind should be an indication of thought, not proof of economic status, and to turn these events into something else sours the whole experience, in my mind. Grrrr.

M said...

Unless it was one of my close friends I would skip the shower and send my own gift - be it cash or not - independently. I don't like how the host is planning to pool the cash - perhaps her hidden agenda is to hide the fact that she can't afford much? Regardless, this is the tackiest shower invite I've heard of yet.

Anonymous said...

Two words sister... 'Don't Go'... if you are worried (which I am sure you aren't) about looking cheap... then so be it... beats paying for someone else's event... Take care... Fliss
http://flissandmikeadventures.blogspot.com

Stephanie said...

OY! I have never heard of anything like this before. I agree with declining to attend and send a gift separately.

"M2" said...

OMG, you should purchase a book of etiquette for them, and I seriously doubt the bride isn't "in on it" why would someone else decide for her that cash is what would be most desired.

This is sooooooooo BEYOND tacky.
Every aspect... you don't pay for showers you attend period unless you are the one throwing it.

Invitations that are not personalized should be tossed.

IMO, even registering-putting that info on an invite is tacky let alone requesting/DEMANDING $$ be given, and even a certain amount listed is just plain unbelievable.

No way in hell I'd pay a cent... I'd give a gift of whatever I wanted her to have PERIOD

I went to a wedding not too long ago and received a generic "thank you" card... like the kind you buy at the drug store
it had their names stamped in it-no personal note whatsoever... just a generic "thank you"
and I thought that was bad...

This is unreal...
Tacky Tacky Tacky!!!!!

let us know what you're gonna do please. I find this quite interesting

What is this world coming to???

Polar Bear said...

That is unbelievbale! How Rude!

I wouldn't go. I would make up some story, and then take the bride out to lunch some time and give her a small gift.

TACKY!

Headmeister said...

Ok, I'm back with an UPDATED comment...lol.

Look, here's the deal: one or two people throw the shower, send an invite, say where the bride is registered, and ask for a date to RSVP by. THAT.IS.IT. Anything straying from that is tacky. I mean, if you're going non-traditional (a few friends take the bried to be out to a restaurant and that's it), then the rules change. But if you're throwing a shower, that's how it is supposed to go!

When my sister was pregnant, my mother and I threw her shower... but mostly me. We split up some of the expense, and I did all the work (along with two of my friends. One stayed overnight at my house and helped me get EVERYTHING together til 1am, THEN came with me at 6am out to LI and my sister was like "who's that?". I told her "she's the reason you're having a shower right now so go say hello and introduce yourself!!!" lol). I paid for almost everything myself, ordered everything, planed everything, and only asked that the invitees RSVP and show up on time. THAT'S IT!

So I still say DO NOT GO. But that's just me.... Or go the route of what Kathy said - now THAT is a good one!

Anonymous said...

If I were the bride I would be positively mortified at this invitation.

I agree with you totally. Really I don't think I'd go.

It would also be a kindness to explain to the mannerly challenged host that this is really tacky.

Kristine said...

Wow!!! The POOR bride - does she know what her sister has done? Yikes. When we got married, even registering for gifts was seen by some as selfish - can't imagine what those people would have thought of this!! Amazing.
I could see if the money went to the bride but $40 pp for a shower - is she making a profit?

4D said...

Egads...really not cool! I totally understand why you are miffed. It is hard as you have to play nice with them but want to stand by your position on this being tacky. I would contribute an amount less then the 40$ and not attend. Make up an excuse.

BTW, just to share, at my cousins wedding, the invitation printed on a sheet of paper indicated that there would be a money tree at the reception. Classy!!!

Keep smilin!

redmaryjanes said...

Truthfully, that is completely tacky. How embarassing for the bride-I hope she never finds out.

Jill and Jaap said...

WOW

I completely agree with you on all accounts.

Do you think the bride asked her to do this and the $40 per person is the cash going in the envelope to the bride because the bride only wants cash? That is my guess. In which case...BRUTAL. Brutal any way you look at it. I think you are busy that day with "some very important thing that you just can't get out of."

I had folks who were appalled I registered! (because they believe the gift should be decided by the guest and be heart felt...yada yada
I only registered to help my big family at the request of several aunts and cousins.

wow...keep us informed, love to see how this all plays out, and how other family members feel.

Anonymous said...

Um....what kind of a strange invitation was that, anyway? I have NEVER heard of anything like it. I can't BELIEVE IT! I love Kathy's suggestion. HOnestly. SOme people.
Odd. Very odd.

Janet T.

Catherine said...

Yikes!!! So many things wrong with this. Why do showers have to be a big, huge, EXPENSIVE party? What happened to it being about the bride...not the food and gifts.

Yes...Chutzpah for sure! (Did I use that correctly? :o)

The closest I saw to this was when an exboyfriend got married a couple of years ago. Written on the invitation...below the ceremony info and above the receiption info was...
'In lieu of gifts, cash donations to our house account would be greatly appreciated.'

*gulp!* Where do people get their nerve?

Hey...need an out? Maybe we can plan something for the day of the shower then you can check the third box with a clear conscience.

Lisa said...

Hey girls I see an opportunity here. (tounge held firmly in cheek. Stay with me.) I think you should go. I also think you should go armed with a note pad to record all those family memebers who actually paid the money and show up and then again put money in an envelope. You could really build up a guest list for YOUR baby shower. I can just see it now. You could have a cover charge, err I mean a donation of $50.00 (factoring in inflation) to cover the costs, and you could intimiadate, err I mean suggest a gift of money as well. Sounds good to me.
Now taking my tounge out of cheek and rolling my eyes.

~Just a suggestion.~

cougchick said...

That is puh-thetic. What a cheeseball! Send the dime and be done with it...

kitchu said...

WHAT THE????? You have GOT to be joking me. This IS a joke. Tell me. Please. That is ABSURD, I tell you, UTTERLY absurd!!!!!!

I'm speechless. Don't go. I agree with Heather. And make it a big, obnoxious, cumbersome sort of a gift. Something that won't fit in the trunk. Gaudy. Tacky. Cheap. You know.

Okay, not really. But man it just makes you want to do something just as outrageous RIGHT back.

Sandie said...

Wow, that is crazy. I just hosted a bridal shower for a dear friend. The only way I could get her to agree to any event was to insist to the guest that no gifts please. This is a couple in their late 30's so they have all they need.

I opted to host the event at a hotel brunch for my personal convenience. So I felt like it was my responsibility to pay, so I did. I actually had a squabble with the bride's family on this, because they truly wanted to help to I conceded with one of them and we agreed on a split of the bill. Yea brunch was $30 each but that was my choice to host a nice day for my friend.

You should attend, take your own gift, or if you want to put money in your own envelope, then the bride has the opportunity to than you directly.

Very interesting.

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

OMG!! First of all Emily Post would make sure to tell her that a family member should never throw a shower of any kind for you!! But then to just break all etiquette rules and ask for $$$ donations is just to much for me. I would decline and send a gift to the bride.
Misspellings of names on an invite is rude.
Worse yet...I would be mortified if I were the bride!!

josh said...

$40 canadian. is that like $3 or $4 american? =)

Matt Meyers said...

6 years later and I'm still going "what the fukc?"