Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The cat came back...

I called the clinic and spoke to the vet this afternoon and he said that Deuce was fine. The urinalysis came back "crystal clear", which probably isn't the best phrase to use when talking about a cat who I thought might have a bladder infection (but turned out that he doesn't have that). I smirked a little on the inside when he said that. He said that the blood work wasn't back yet, but it should be in around 8:00pm.

Josh wanted to go out and get Deuce a new litter box, just in case his problem had anything to do with that. On Friday/Saturday he seemed a little freaked out by the box, so just to eliminate any chances that was the cause (though I don't understand why), we got a new one. We got the "giant" sized one for large kitties.

Anyways, we got home, assembled the box and got a call from the vet. The blood work came back normal as well. So we took Deuce in, subjected him to all these tests and they couldn't find a single thing wrong with him. I really feel badly when that happens, though of course it's better to be safe than sorry.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that he's fine, but I don't understand why he did what he did on Sunday.

When we picked him up he was growling in his cage (he's never been a good patient), though itt probably didn't help that there was a German Shepherd, a dalmatian, three cats and a bunny in the waiting area when we went in to get him. By the time we got him to the car he was mewing.

We brought him home, let him out of his cage and I introduced him to his new litter box. I had to take him over to it three or four times, I didn't want him to have any accidents. We gave him his food and water, and he dug into it like he hadn't eaten in days. About a half hour after that he decided to test drive the new box with a giant pee (yes, you needed to know that), and about an hour or two later, he did the other.

While I'm not complaining that I have a healthy cat, really I'm thrilled...I could have done without the $426.00 bill that came along with that. :P

Hopefully this is the end of this little episode...

(Thank you to everyone for the kind comments, emails and good wishes that I've received over the past day or so, it really means a lot).

6 comments:

Red Sand said...

Yay - glad Deuce came home. Sorry about the bill (I know that pain!), but it's always good to get good news.

redmaryjanes said...

I'm so glad that Deuce is ok. Hope he enjoys the GIANT box. That is an expensive vet bill, but what do you do? you love your cat.

4D said...

Great news! The bill is a cramp in the wallet but I am sure the cramp in your heart is gone now that he is home and doing well.

Keep smilin!

wzgirl said...

A very similar thing happened to us last year. Expensive, yet clean bill of health for our cat that was sneezing. Same cat had an issue with her litter box a while back - it was a change in litter itself. So we changed that & she was fine again.

Wecome Back Home Deuce!

Polar Bear said...

Yeah! I am so glad Deuce is fine.

Vet bills just astound me. I know it is part of the deal when having furkids, but man sometimes the bill can be rough.

D & S said...

I'm so happy that Duece is at home and that he's doing well. That vet bill does sting though, but like you said, better safe than sorry.