Thursday, April 26, 2007

What the?! ***UPDATE - AGAIN***

I was perusing the rumour site this morning and saw a message about a t-shirt that Urban Outfitters sells.

I don't normally have a visceral reaction to stuff like this, and I have developed a rather thick skin against comments that I'm sure we'll be faced with when "Little Maple" comes home, but I couldn't let this one pass by. I'm sure they thought they were being 'cute' or 'witty' by making the shirt, but I just find it offensive and tacky.

I wrote to Urban Outfitters and lodged a complaint.

I saw your new t-shirt "Adopting is the new black" today and I have to admit I'm appalled by the lack of understanding and sensitivity that this shirt (and by extension your company) conveys.

Adoption is not something that anyone enters into lightly, and it's
not done to be 'fashionable'. The decision to adopt takes a lot of
thought,effort, patience and yes, resources. To undermine that by
a thoughtless t-shirt is offensive to anyone considering adoption,
in the process itself, not to mention adoptees.

I hope you reconsider and pull this highly offensive t-shirt off your
shelves.


If any of you are so inclined, please feel free to write to them as well and let the company know how offensive that shirt is. Who's with me?

***AWESOME! I just checked the link and in big red print it says 'We regret that this item is not available at this time."

It seems that the entire adoption community banded together on this issue, just as they had before with CNN to correct gross injustices. I love the adoption community, really I do!

Updated again: I just called my local Urban Outfitters and they have the shirt on their shelves and asked if I wanted them to put one on hold. So the shirt has full distribution, but the upside is that they aren't ordering any more as "they had a problem with their vendor".

Updated for the last time...I hope. I just checked statcounter and someone from UO did a blogsearch and visited my site today at 12:30 this afternoon. I don't know why, but it amuses me that they bothered to do a blogsearch and actually visited.***

16 comments:

Headmeister said...

Uh, are you kidding? This is unreal... Going to log my own complaint!

4D said...

Are you freaking serious? I am appalled! Going now to complain!

Thanks for the heads up.

Keep smilin!

"M2" said...

very much inclined... thank you

Red Sand said...

I'm with you.

Swerl said...

I appreciate your post on this issue.

I also love your blog!

I have linked back to your post on my blog:

http://swerl.blogspot.com

I'd love for you to check it out!

aimeeg said...

So freakin ridiculous. Glad it's off the internet.

D & S said...

Good for you! That really is offensive. I'm glad people are standing up to them.

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I don't like that shirt at all. Makes all our waiting, heartache, everything seem so....trivial. Like it's just a trend. ARG!

Elizabeth said...

Ya I think my initial reaction is that it's far too flippant for such a profound event that changes lives.How can they compare adopting children to the surface vanity of fashion?
Ok now I'm mad.
I'm glad you complained, I'll sign the petition should there ever be one.

redmaryjanes said...

I e-mailed a complaint. i think that it is apalling.

Michelle said...

Uh! This sickens me. Adoption shirts, to me, are offensive period. This is so ridiculous! Off to make a few phone calls.

Jill and Jaap said...

I eamiled a complaint too-- first thing yesterday.

Pug Mama said...

This is the first time i have seen that shirt. (I am also very tired and read it as Adopting IN the new black several times before I "got it")
Doesn't suprise me.
in such bad taste to say the least.

Shandra said...

I love that someone from UO actually visited. I hope they have realized what a stupid mistake they have made and now pull the shirts from their shelves as well.

Mamacita said...

What the @#$%? That's just upsetting.

Insensitivity. The new standard.

crazylady said...

I just found your site off the M&M site. Glad I found another Torontonian! I am thrilled you were proactive in contacting UO re that awful T shirt. There are just so many stupid people to educate. This is going to take a while. I will keep having a lookey see on your site.
Tootles,
Senja