Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Random ramblings

1. So, another month and another trip to the bank. For long time readers of my blog, you know that each month Josh and I collect our loonies and toonies (Canadian $1.00 and $2.00 coins), put them in our jar and take them to the bank.

Though, in honesty, that's a bit of a stretch. It also includes the $100.00 I won in the Heart and Stroke Lottery, the $5.00 I found on the ground, and the $42.00 I earned by doing an experiment. I can't be bothered putting all the links in here, but if you're interested, check out my archives on March 7th and you'll see the reference to the $100.00 and $5.00. I can't remember when I did the experiment, but if you're that curious, go nuts.

2. Our cat, Deuce, killed the vacuum cleaner. Josh was doing some vacuuming this afternoon (I had a migraine and asked him to vacuum the rug while I was taking a shower). :)

Anyways, he plugged it in, turned it on and he heard a loud whirring sound and the machine. just. stopped. dead.

He started taking it apart to find the source of the blockage and pulled out a huge chunk of compacted grey fur. He then took the front off the vacuum and saw that the entire part where a bag SHOULD be was completely covered in grey fur. Apparently, at some point the bag must have slipped and the front part of the vacuum slowly filled with fur until it just went on strike and refused to work anymore.

Of course this would happen just days before we're having some people over for dinner, so we had to run out and get a new vacuum cleaner. I took out my frustrations by taking the vacuum down to the dumpster, lifting it high, and pitching it in...it made a lovely loud CRASH sound as it landed. Great for my frustration, not so great for my migraine.

Anyways, we headed back to Linens 'n' Things to look at the models that they have. We spoke to one girl who was supposed to be 'in charge' of that section of the store. We looked at a couple of models (we were really interested in a Dyson, but balked when we saw the price tag of over $600.00). Josh started asking the girl a couple of questions (like what the difference is between the models and which is best for pet fur). She said she had no idea, so Josh rolled his eyes and asked another individual who was supposedly higher up on the evolutionary chain chain of command. He asked the same questions and the person, again, said he didn't know and that Dyson didn't offer them any information or training on the various models. At this point, we turned tail and left.

I did buy something there, however, and when the cashier rang up the total it came to $86...but when she plugged the number into the Interac machine, it came up as $68...BONUS!

We then headed over to Crappy Canadian Tire to look at their wares. We found one that was really similar to the Dyson vacuum and its main purpose was for pets! We basically jumped on it and hauled it over to the cash register. All tolled it came to $160.00+tax. That's certainly a helluva lot better than $600.00!

3. A little birdy told me that it's Kathy's birthday today! I certainly hope it's happy!

4. American Idol...where do I begin?! I missed Tuesday's show because I was at a seder for Passover and I forgot to tape the show. Oh well, I don't think I missed *TOO* much.

I made a point of watching tonight's show and, is it just me or did it seem like Michael Buble was on something?! It was either that or he was distracted. It looked like he forgot the words to the song and he just seemed...spacey.

I'm kind of bummed that Gina got the boot, she was actually pretty good. Am I surprised that Sanjaya is still in? No. I really think this site is keeping him in the show...not to mention Howard Stern's listeners. C'est la vie.

5. I heard a rumour that the CCAA might not even get through October. Blargh...just blargh.

9 comments:

C's Mom said...

That last point sucks harder than your new vacuum!

Blech!

AnalĂ­a said...

Hi Rhonda. I loved reading your blog.
I really hope Josh and you have your child at home very soon.
I guess the diffenrence between a baby coming from our womb and a baby coming from our heart, is the time and the patience...the rest it's only love.
Good luck on this journey

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you have migraines. No fun! What's the CCAA?

Stephanie said...

I have to confess. I did succomb and bought the Dyson Animal (you know the really cute purple one) after our vacuum cleaner died. Same reason as yours.....pet hair. I had a 20% off coupon so I felt like it was a deal. I must admit that I LOVE that vacuum.

Polar Bear said...

I HATE migraines. I sure hope yours is better.

Vacuum cleaners are a nightmare. With four dogs I know how it can be with pet hair and the vacuum cleaner.

What a great idea on the money jar. You have saved an amazing amount in one month.

4D said...

Love the Dyson but not in love the price! I have to lock Daisy up when we vacuum as she literally attacks the machine and tries to tear it a new one.

Feel better...ignore rumours as they increase pain.

Nothing like a good chuck to vent some frustrations.

Keep smilin!

aimeeg said...

Sorry for the vacuum disaster, but glad you found a replacement so quickly.

I'm again impressed by your money jar--we keep stealing from our baby already.

redmaryjanes said...

We should start saving our pennies too! That's a good chunk of money. American Idol is too bizarre for me this year. Sanjaya is just killing me.

M and M said...

Great job on the money jar! You should add the $18 savings from LNT.

Hope the migraine is better.

I am kinda glad RQ is on hiatus - I don't always WANT to know what is going on with the CCAA!