Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Stupidity... ***UPDATE***

Last night when I was over at my brother and sister-in-law's, my brother told me how Z's day was (since it was the first time back with his fracture). When my brother took him to his class, he wanted to make sure that Z was settled and that everything was ok. The first thing out of his teacher's mouth was 'Is that cast real?'

Umm...

Yeah...

The teacher knew that they were taking him for X-rays on Friday. The teacher knew that it was fairly serious. Why, oh why, would she ask that? She wasn't asking in a shocked kind of way...more of an accusatory tone. Did she really think that my brother and sister-in-law would put a cast on him for shits and giggles? Did she think they had it put on for sympathy so she would pass him, since report cards are around the corner? Did she think he had answers to the next math test written on it (like he's going to write on it...2+2=4)?

Stoooooopid.

***Kathy, granted there are some 'interesting' people out there who would take advantage (and yes, I knew about sites that used to post notes from parents...I used to bring excerpts in when I was going through for my teaching degree...always a fun read on a Friday afternoon) ;)

Though as a teacher, if a child who you knew hurt themselves (like the child you mentioned on your blog a few weeks ago), would you really question the parents and think they were 'faking' it ?***

8 comments:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Well, I don't know about your brother, but I know I ALWAYS put FAKE cast on my children. It is such fun. DUH!

Unknown said...

fake casts are sooo cool..Great question...Geesh!

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

To be fair, you would not BELIEVE what we see in the schools as far as what some parents will do relevant to getting special treatment for their kids. Personally, I have seen my fair share of fake bandaging and fake splints.
The amount of notes I have received in my career about how "so and so" has this and therefore cannot bend down to pick up a pencil or cannot use his or her right hand to turn the handle on the door in the left position. Really, it is quite something. In fact, there are books published documents some of the more inane notes teachers have received.
Live and learn.

"M2" said...

bulb not too bright

M and M said...

I can't wait to be a mom and write one of those letters...heehee!!

Anonymous said...

arg.

Jill and Jaap said...

I wonder if after she said it, she thought to herself, "why did I say that?"

Headmeister said...

Next time they should walk him in with a fake head wound and major gauze wrapped around his noggin. What a dumbass question. What's more dumb are the parents who actually DO mock and injury on their child, which forces teachers to ask such questions.

I still say go in there with a fake head wound.