Sunday, June 10, 2007

Suck it up, buttercup...

I simply had to steal borrow Kathy's phrase from this past week to describe my 'fun' little jaunt today to have an MRI. For those of you that follow this blog, you know that I've been having some ankle pain for the past four or five months.

Last month I had a bone scan on my ankle to see why I'm having this continuous pain. Long story short, I hounded called the rheumatologist's office about two weeks ago and finally got results that everything was 'ok'. Suuuure it is, that's why I'm still feeling pain. In his infinite wisdom, he decided to send me for an MRI which I went for today, and I *should* get the results in about a week or so.

Josh and my mom took me to the hospital for my appointment and I was taken right away. Woo! I got to answer the same questions all over again (I know, the tech is just doing her job, but I just filled out the same questionnaire earlier in the week)...and I just wanted to have the test over and done with. Basically she asked me if I was ever a welder, umm no...or if I have a pacemaker, again no...among other questions. I know the reasons for it and why they have to be extra careful.

Anyways, the tech then left me so I could get changed (insert stripper music here). I put on the two gowns and was taken into the MRI room where I had to lie on the table. They then had me put my foot in a little mechanism and then padded it with little foam 'pillows' to restrict movement. I was then covered up with light blankets (it was cold in there), she gave me ear plugs and then left the room. I never knew that MRIs were loud. I knew there was some sound involved, obviously, but never to the point of needing ear plugs. Thankfully I didn't have to go all the way into the machine, my head was out of the machine, it was basically my lower half that went in.

She started the machines and I was really taken aback at the sounds it was making. It sounded akin to construction on the DVP. The sounds came in waves...there was a constant THUNK THUNK THUNK all through the test and then there would be sounds like a jackhammer that would last a few minutes and then silence...and then a different loud sound would occur.

I can't even imagine what shape I'd be in if I had a migraine during the test...EEP. Thank goodness for small miracles.

When the test was over, she unpacked my foot and I was struck by how much pain I was in and how stiff my foot was. Anyways, enough whining for now, hopefully this doesn't show anything either or if it does, it's something easily correctable...I'm almost afraid to find out what it is.

7 comments:

M and M said...

Why would it matter if you were a welder??

I hope all is well - fixable with the ankle.

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

Yikes! I've never had an MRI and now I don't want one. Good luck with the results!

C's Mom said...

So strange that I am so accustomed to medical stuff that it doesn't phase me in the least. I forget that people might find some procedures weird.

Thunk, thunk, thunk. Hey, I hear that in my head all the time ;0)

Hope you hear something soon about what is up.

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I hope they can figure it out! I've had MRI's done before on my head. YOu're right, they are LOUUUUUD!!!! I was shocked too. I had to have this stuff injected into my bloodstream that made you feel like your arm was going to fall off, it was soooo cold! Yuck a rooney. Hopefully I won't have to do it again soon.

Get that ankle fixed, people! This lady needs to climb the Great Wall soon, you know! :-)

Unknown said...

Hope everything is ok and you find out why you are having this pain so you can get rid of it

Anonymous said...

Hope it turns out to be virtually nothing. Nothing would mean there is also nothing they can do so I hope it is virtually nothing.

Red Sand said...

how are things going now?