Monday, June 25, 2007

What time is it, Mr. Wolf?!

Last night I got a call from my mom, and the first words out of her mouth were 'Well, I now know why you went to go visit with Z on Saturday!' Apparently my brother (AKA Ugly) decided to tell her about Z's buckle fracture. She was upset, of course, but she was a lot more calm than I thought she would be.

Tonight, Josh and I went over to my brother and sister-in-law's for a BBQ to celebrate my mom's birthday...a day late. Z was cute...when my mom walked through the door he hid his arm behind his back and told my mom "I don't want you to cry if you see it." Smart kid!

While we were eating dinner, my mom asked Z if he took gym at school today or if he sat out. He told her 'I participated', and she got a worried look on her face. I guess she thought that he was playing a rough and tumble sport of some kind. She asked him what he did in gym class and he told her that they played 'What time is it, Mr. Wolf?' Apparently she had never heard of the game or was playing dumb, so she asked him how he plays it.

He told her that one person is 'Mr. Wolf' and stands over at the far end of the gym, and he turns his back to everyone. Then, all the kids shout out 'What time is it, Mr. Wolf?' and he/she will say it's X o'clock and they have to take as many steps as X is. My mom then asked him 'how long do you play until?' (fully expecting him to say something like 'we play until the first kid reaches 'Mr. Wolf'). He looked at her and said 'we play until the lunch bell rings'. We all had the biggest laugh...ever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad he is doing well.

aimeeg said...

Sounds like Z knows what's up with grandma! Love that he hid it behind his back.

D & S said...

Too cute! Sounds like Z's doing pretty well. Love the way he tried to protect grandma.