Wednesday, March 07, 2007

*Insert Twilight Zone music here*

A lot of you don't know this, but I felt in the mood to share tonight. Twenty-one years ago today my father passed away and he was only 45.

A bit of a back story, my brother (AKA Ugly) went to a Rush concert the night before (Thursday), and actually he was let out early because a teacher had died at school.

The following morning (Friday), my dad was at the top of the stairs talking to my brother about the concert and I was standing next to him. All of a sudden our dad fell down the stairs and had a massive heart attack in front of us.

Traumatic? Duh.

My dad always hated if we missed any school and it's almost like he 'planned' that day, as it was the last day before March Break. So we spent the entire week of March Break sitting shiva (the Jewish seven day period of mourning), and we went back to school the following Monday (the 17th).

Flash forward to today...

For the past four or five years my mom and I have always bought Heart and Stroke lottery tickets. Today I got a letter in the mail from the lottery that we won $100. Technically we broke even, but that's not the point. Of ALL the days, why did it come today? I was kind of weirded out by the whole endeavour.

Josh came home for lunch today and as we were walking through the apartment building towards the parking lot, I found $5 lying on the ground. (Of course all of this is going directly into the Loonie/Toonie jar).

When I told Nicole about this in an email earlier today, she replied "I wonder who sent it your way". Indeed.

Needless to say, I bought lottery tickets on the way into work...

13 comments:

Johnny said...

Odd. But, you never know. I think there are those who watch over us...uhhh, not that I can prove any of that.

4D said...

To me, it is a day to remember and you were being given a couple of signs. Both have $ involved and because of the cost with IA, whatever/whoever was making it all happen was trying to connect your past to your future...in my mind this makes sense!!

Def. coincidence!

Keep smilin!

LaLa said...

Wow..sorry you had to go through that trauma as a child (my dad died last summer but I was obviously much older) I think he was trying to say "hey..thinking about you and hope this helps with the adoption" who knows really....but I like to think our loved ones do watch over us.

M and M said...

You know in the 'spy' world, they don't believe in coincidences ...I remember I heard that in a movie once!!

I too received a $100 cheque in the mail today from Heart & Stroke! What a great thing to come home from work to!

M and M said...

What I meant by that was that there is a bigger picture and coincidences don't just happen - they are arranged!

Polar Bear said...

Wow! What a story. I'm sorry about your dad, I am sure that is terrible.

I must say I agree with Doris.

Red Sand said...

Very weird, but the signs are interesting! Very sorry about your father - that would have been a tough situation, I'm sure.

Anthony & Crystal said...

So sorry to hear about the tramatic death of your dad.
I do believe, sometimes when we need it most, a little reminder comes from those who are not with us anymore.

redmaryjanes said...

My mother died when I was 16 years old and there have definitely been times when I know that she's been near me. I think that your father is saying hello in the only way he can right now. Allow yourself to feel hugged.
I am sorry for your lifelong loss.

D & S said...

I'm sorry you and your brother had to see your dad pass away. I can only imagine what that must have been like for you.

Good luck with the lottery tickets.

t~ said...

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about such trauma in your life as a child. Sounds like someone is watching over you.

Hope you win big!

Linda Dove said...

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your father...

I love when alignments happen! They're an important piece to figuring Stuff out.

Anonymous said...

I was hearing the music all day. I think there is a connection. It is an odd one, but sometimes things can be sent our way. . .