Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Ooey gooey goodness...*

Well another month down and another cake. I really don't want to go on the scale when we get our referral. ;)

I had a somewhat hectic day at work today. The transcriber that I use broke. Well, it didn't so much break but gave its final gasp of air this afternoon. It fought a good fight, but we had to take it out and shoot it replace it.

The volume kept wavering in and out, so for the past week I've had the volume up to 11. It was a bit painful when the sound eventually came back and hearing my FIL's voice basically screaming in my ear. Anyways, he had an idea that the problem was that the head(s) on the transcriber were dirty and had to be cleaned. He gave me a bottle of alcohol (not the good stuff) and a swab and told me to clean them.

I did.

Then nothing. No matter which button I pressed, the machine just refused to work. It wouldn't play, rewind, fast forward. Even the foot pedal went on holiday. So our only choice was to go and get a new transcriber.

It was the middle of the day (our 1:30 patient no-showed) so we had some time to kill. We first headed over to The Source. He drove into the parking lot and parked in the handicapped spot (he parks there legitimately, he's got a bad back and walks with a cane). Imagine our surprise disgust when we found that the only place in the entire parking lot that had any snow was piled into the handicapped spots. That shouldn't happen. He had to open the door and climb over the snow, hanging on to me for dear life. Granted, he could have parked elsewhere, but that's besides the point. It's far more convenient for him to park in the handicapped spots. GRAH!

Anyways, we went into The Source, but they apparently don't sell any...or at least this store didn't. The salesman was a bit of a dolt AND it was his first day at that store so he didn't know where anything was.

So we left.

We then headed over to Staples and they only had ONE. Not just one brand. ONE transcriber. They don't carry them anymore. I know our office is a bit 'outdated' in that we aren't computerized, which is probably a good thing or I'd be blogging (and reading) from work. I do enough of that by bugging the owner of the UPS store in our building. Hey, a girl has to keep on top of her rumours, even if our referral is 10 billion months away. ;)

So we got our transcriber ($350 + tax) thankyouverymuch and headed back to the office to find our 2:30 patient waiting impatiently at the door. After that all the patients showed up for their appointments early. The 3:00 showed up at 2:35 and the 4:00 showed up at 3:15. I think I'm going to suggest that my FIL starts handing out little clocks to the patients so they can learn to tell time. Now granted, it's always better to be early, but when they sit there and stare at me while they wait, it gives me the heebie jeebies sometimes. ;)

* I almost forgot the most TRAGIC part of the entire day. When I was assembling the new transcriber, I broke a fingernail! Oh the horror! Oh the humanity! (and I was going to get a French manicure for the weekend.)

7 comments:

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

Happy 6th!!! One more month closer!
What a day for you and you FIL. Hope tomorrow is less hectic.

Polar Bear said...

Yeah 6! Happy 6 Months!!

What an excursion for a transcriber! Hope today is calmer.

Cari said...

Happy 6th! And....my condolences for your poor nail -- I hope you're okay, and recovering from the whole thing. It takes time.

Cari

C's Mom said...

Happy 6!

I would be transcribing something naughty after the nail break ;0)

Stephanie said...

Happy 6 months and mmmmmmmm that cake looks delicious!

4D said...

Happy 6 Month LID-iversary! Looks nummy!

I adore you even more now that you have referenced one of the best movies ever!!! "It goes to 11!" We use that saying all the time.

Enjoy the new transcriber.

I too have been wanting a mani but one nail breaks and I am stuck waiting. Then, just as I am ready to go...another one breaks!! A sign perhaps?

Keep smilin!

M and M said...

Wow - 6 months already!! Congrats!!

I hope the new machine works well and doesn't take any more nails hostage.