Thursday, March 01, 2007

Snow snow snow!

Toronto, and many areas, were hit with a major storm today! We were only supposed to get about 5cm of snow with the possibility of freezing rain. Well, something funny happened on the way to the forum...

We got at least 10-15cm (between 1/3 and 1/2 foot) of snow, and the freezing rain is falling on top of that. I know, it doesn't sound THAT bad, compared to what other places have been getting, but this is the first major storm of the season. I remember when we'd get completely hammered with snow when I was younger. You know, where you'd wake up in the morning and the snow would be up to your knees (if you were lucky, it would only be your knees)...or little kids would go out and play in the snow drifts and all you would see is the pompom of their hats sticking out of the snow. I *miss* that kind of snow.

The only part I don't like is how long it takes to get anywhere in it.

We went to pick my mom up from the subway station after work. I told Josh to leave early, I figured that if he did, it wouldn't take us terribly long to get to the station. Well, I was, umm wrong.

It took over an hour and a half to drive 5km. The only way to get to the station was to go down a big hill. Cars were swerving and fish-tailing all over the road and one car came close to fish-tailing right into us. There were cars broken down all over the place, and it didn't help matters that we're right in the middle of a gas shortage.

(Long story short, there was a fire at a gas refinery and the majority of Esso stations ran out of gas this week...and then the other stations that were trying to make up for the shortage ran out themselves.)

I felt sorry for people who were stuck on the road in this storm.

The traffic was going so slowly that people were getting out of their cars and cleaning off their windshields. Trust me, they had the time to do that...the traffic simply didn't move.

We finally got to my mom, picked her up and she took us out for dinner. We were basically just waiting for the majority of the storm to pass before we got back on the road again, which was probably the smart thing to do. After dinner, we dropped mom at home and that's when the freezing rain started...

It wasn't too bad, we took the side streets home (since the major streets were still bunged up with traffic) and got home just in time to watch American Idol. ;)

How did you all fare with the storm? I'd talk about AI, but I don't want to ruin it for any of you that haven't seen it yet. All I *can* say about it is, what the hell is up with the voting public?! :P

9 comments:

4D said...

And thanks for sending us the lovely snow!

Voting public loves an underdog + her people voting their hearts out = Her still in it. Sigh!

Keep smilin!

Polar Bear said...

I remember snows like that when I was younger and living in Chicago. I do miss a good snowstorm. Here in Kentucky a snowstorm is two inches. The whole town shuts down. :)

Stephanie said...

Yuck! I lived in the North for the majority of my life and while I have great memories of the snow, I can't say I miss it a bit now.

On the other hand, Atlanta traffic is so horrendous that it has taken me over an hour to drive 5km in perfect weather. The grass is always greener :).

D & S said...

I hate winter. It was not a good day to be out.

I don't get the voting public either. I was VERY surprised by the ejections.

Thumbelina's Mom said...

I'm tired of the snow/ice/freezing rain. The boys have the day off school today, so they are just thrilled.

I've never really watch AI, except for the tryouts (I find them humorous), so last night we watched a bit of it. I was surprised that they make the people who get voted off sing. Seems like a mean thing to do - likey pouring salt into an open wound.

Liz and Ava said...

I'm just east of you, in Oshawa...and I too remember the snow like that when I was younger...remember having to take the ski-doos to church because we had so much snow the cars weren't even on the road...miss those days...except when I have to drive in it!(or shovel it!!!)

M and M said...

I hear you with the traveling time!!

I have had enough of winter now! Bring on the spring flowers.

C's Mom said...

I am way over the sloppy snow stuff. Feelin' for you all and hoping for some spring soon.

Antonella? What up there: cannot.sing. Sanjaya? huh?

Anthony & Crystal said...

Living in Toronto is not fun when it snows! It takes us forever to get anywhere.........
I decided to work from home that day!

Keep our fingers crossed that it is almost over and Spring is on it's way