Wednesday, March 28, 2007

No smoking...in your own apartment

Every now and then I find an article about something silly that our beloved provincial government tries to implement, or discuss, or blow smoke out of their @$$. Well today I found a lovely little gem that I thought I would share.

You can read about it here or here. In the government's infinite wisdom, they're thinking of having a debate about not allowing people to smoke in their apartments. Not just the lobby or any common area (which is already outlawed), but your actual apartment.

Both Josh and I are non-smokers, so whether this ban goes into effect or not, it won't have any affect on us. Now don't get me wrong, I understand the ban and appreciate the health benefits of not having to breathe smoke in. My question is, how on earth are they going to enforce it?

Are superintendents going to have to run around and make sure that their tenants don't smoke? Will it get to the point that they will have the authority to evict you for smoking? What about if you have guests over? Can they get you evicted?

It just seems that there are a lot more pressing issues in today's society instead of having smoke-free apartment buildings.

2 comments:

"M" said...

In some ways I agree, and others I do not. I am a non smoker and used to live above a mentally ill guy who sat at home smoking all day and night. NO matter what I tried, my place smelled like smoke. I would go to the gym and smell smoke. I would look around in disbelieve that someone would be smoking at the gym, only to realizd that it was my shirt that smelled. In fact, many of my clothes smelled. I had no rights since it was in HIS apartment, but I was greatly impacted. I also lost a deal when I tried to sell the unit, because of the smoke. I wished the law was on my side there.

Cari said...

Hey there --
Not sure how I feel about this. I'm a rabid non-smoker (who comes from a family of smokers -- I'm sort of the black sheep) and I don't allow smoking in my apartment. I do occassionally get wafts of smoke from neighbouring apts and would love it if it could stop. However, where will this end? I don't want the gov't legislating what I can and cannot do in my own dwelling. Smoking itself is not an illegal activity, so I can't see how it would be enforced.